PDA

View Full Version : Last Midway flier this December

Matt Anthony
10-10-2013, 02:22
I honestly don't know who is running MidwayUSA, but according to the October flier, December will be the last one! Although our Nation is pretty computer savoy, there still are millions that still do not use them or own them. Many older shooters I know do not trust the internet with their personal information. And lastly, by retiring the flier, that just another nail in the postal coffen!

I like the flier every month even though the bargain page really isn't a bargain, sometimes they have on sale something I can use. The old "Truckload Sale" on bullets and brass is long gone and that won't be coming back now that the flier has been scheduled for the deep six in two month's.

Times are a changing, sometimes change is good and as in DC, sometimes change is strickly evil! I do think the owner Mr. Potterfield should rethink this change. If revenue isn't coming in on the flier, maybe he should look at the merchandise and maybe make some changes on who is in charge of the flier before retiring it! I have already written them and the reply I received was a Gerneration M style, we don't give a s__t attitude, this is how it is and we are sorry, but you can get our exciting specials emailed. LIKE I WANT MORE ADVERTISMENTS IN MY EMAIL EVERYDAY!!!!! Like I said, sometimes changes are evil!
Matt

SMOKEY
10-10-2013, 04:50
I, like you, like catalogs. They are direct and I dont have to go looking all over the web for what I am looking for. Of course the print media is expensive and in the future it wont exist. I guess we are the last dinosaurs

Hefights
10-10-2013, 05:43
Email Larry and give him your opinion, he or someone usually answers emails. They might have a way to help, you never know.

da gimp
10-10-2013, 05:46
it comes down to the fact that they lose/spend more on print media than it brings in.............. it made it very easy to end........... unless you want to foot the bill for it yourself.................

Jim in Salt Lake
10-10-2013, 09:16
I got a new Brownell's catalog last month, that's got to be an expensive one to print and mail. I don't think I've ever ordered from it, I do that on the internet. It's one of my favorite things to browse though, to me it's so much easier to flip through than a web site. I hope they keep publishing those for a while. Those catalogs have sparked some ideas I had a lot of fun with.

Matt Anthony
10-12-2013, 02:54
it comes down to the fact that they lose/spend more on print media than it brings in.............. it made it very easy to end........... unless you want to foot the bill for it yourself.................

A flier is sent out to let people know what is on sale, what is on clearance and what's new! The biggest problem with Midway has been their items on sale in my opinion. Midway started out in brass and bullets and for about a year and a half, there hasn't been any! Long before the shortage. I looked at their last flier and there was nothing of interest but pages of the same stuff the previous month's fliers. Not anything new and no bread and butter. I'm 63 years old and do not need any more knives or hatchets!
I think Midway is has gotten too big in my opinion, and has been for a while! I try not to buy from them, only when I have too!
Matt

da gimp
10-12-2013, 01:19
the bargain pages are listed on the web site too, & if you check them faithfully, you might find stuff you need.............I do not ever remember popular calibres of brass/bullets , primers, & powder being on the bargain lists of either Midway or Grafs..............

Matt Anthony
10-13-2013, 03:05
the bargain pages are listed on the web site too, & if you check them faithfully, you might find stuff you need.............I do not ever remember popular calibres of brass/bullets , primers, & powder being on the bargain lists of either Midway or Grafs..............

Well, every month they had at least a quarter to a half page with the headline, "Truck Load Sale" and had every popular caliber of brass, rifle and pistol you could every want. Remington, Winchester, Federal and lots of once fired Military brass. Bullets too, I bought thousands of Winchester silvertips in 270 and 30/06, in fact I still have hundreds of them! He had some kind of deal with the manufactures where I think he was buying up their overstock, then wholesaling it to us. It worked, I bought so much brass it could fill a good sized bedroom! I use to buy it and then resell it the prices were so low!
When the truckload sales stopped, that's when I started sending emails to Mr. Potterfield. I have had corrospondence with him on many occasions and his goal was to be the biggest, because his answers always leaned towards trying to make as many happy as possible. We all know that doesn't work unless you have a quintillion dollar revenue source! However, he still is quite successful despite closing down the retail shop he ran next to the warehouse. He was able to meet with customers on a personal basis and loved that interaction, and I know he misses that part of the business.

colt100
10-31-2013, 08:25
I for one rarely look at catalogs. I never know if things are in stock or on sale or if the sale has ended. I have seen many things in flyers that are back ordered by the time I get the flyer and go to the website. Flyers are a thing of the past and if the company can save money, then by all means do it. That means that the cost of the flyers are not passed onto me, a consumer.

Maybe they should make a few flyers up and charge for them like a catalog. Would you guys buy the flyers?

mikld
11-01-2013, 09:21
I much prefer catalogs. Not just for purchasing components or equipment, but as reference. I can study a catalog and learn a lot about what is available/made, the price range of tools, components, and accessories so I can make better informed choices. I don't think about reloading only when I'm in front of my press and studying catalogs/flyers keeps me "in touch" with my hobby whenever I choose. Besides, it's much easier to study a catalog than to take my laptop to the privy...