PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Identifying an Early Colt DA Revolver Please

SloopJohnB
10-09-2013, 11:09
Need some help identifying and establishing value on an early Colt DA revolver. I'm helping a friend who is selling the gun for a lady with large medical bills, and would appreciate any help you folks can provide.
I believe the gun to be a 1889 "Navy" / New Navy Model of 1889 from what I can determine in the Blue Book. Here's the basic info I can determine at this point:
* Marked "Colt D.A. 41" on the L/H side of the barrel - Appears to be a .41 Long Colt
* Top of the barrel is marked (1st line) "Colt's FT FA Mfg CC Hartford CT USA"
( 2nd line) "Patented Aug 5 1885 Nov 6 88 Mar 5 95"
* Frame & Crane both marked "803", with a "9" above the 803 on the frame
* Cylinder latch marked "803"
*Inside face of the ejector star marked "3"
* Rear of cylinder, under ejector marked "3"
* Serial number on the bottom/butt of frame is "193" over "300"
From what little I know, this gun has been passed down by the males in this lady's family for several generations. Beyond that, I know nothing of the gun.
Any information you collectors/Colt fans can provide will be greatly appreciated. If this is the gun I believe it to be, the Blue Book gives some ideas as to value. I would say this one is roughly 95% although it appears it may have been buffed and re-blued. I can't tell for sure, but while it seems the original Colt stampings were unevenly done, some are quite faint at this point. Any thoughts as to market value would be appreciated as well.
Please email me at: kiko1(REMOVE)@bendcable.com with any questions/for additional pics.
Thanks again to all.
John

wiley
10-09-2013, 12:00
It does appear to be reblued. http://www.coltsmfg.com/CustomerServices/SerialNumberLookup.aspx suggests it was made in 1903. You have a BB so you can pick a value, I'd guess $300-350

Tuna
10-09-2013, 08:31
I think you have the Model 1892 Army and Navy- Civilian model. While it is similar to the 1889, the 1892 has double bolt stop notches while the 89 doesn't.

SloopJohnB
10-10-2013, 10:37
Thanks again for all your input folks. It helped give me and the owner a better idea as to what she has. Given the re-finish and comparatively low market value, I suspect she'll just keep it for her son instead of selling.
Regards,
John

Art
10-11-2013, 06:43
Your friend may want to make sure its actually functional. These early Colt double actions were extremely fragile, the double action mechanism usually being the first thing to go on them. They are also very difficult to repair. If it indexes properly and is completely functional I'd just keep it as an artifact and not a shooter because fully functional ones are really not all that common.