PDA

View Full Version : how to clean so I can trade it (DEN 42)06 ammo?

rifles4me
10-07-2013, 07:18
This weekend I was rewiring my grandfathers camp and I helped a elderly gentleman a few camps down unload a cord of fire wood and he asked me if I shoot 30.06 and I said yes so he tossed 2 20 round boxes of DEN 42 30.06 as payment and I am always willing to work for ammo so I was ecstatic to accept it as I was just walking by and jumped in his truck to help and didn't expect anything in return lol

the box is deteriorating and the ammo has been in the box so it has what I guess is very light surface effects from the deteriorating cardboard. it is very light and not exactly considered damage but more like discoloration. I fired one box just because the camp is 2 miles away from the range and we have a bear and yote problem so I had my 06 in the jeep.

anyhoo, I have plenty of various 30.06 ammo but am dangerously low on .303 Brit so I would like to trade it for a box of .303

If I was to present this last box it would probably be frowned upon even though it is sure fire. How can I clean the ammo up without doing more harm than good? I usually just hit it with 000 wool and toss it in my ammo can and "set it and forget it" haha! but this method leaves light scratches and you can tell it was cleaned abrasively which will for sure make potential traders question its condition.

any ideas?

Thanks in advance

DRAGONFLYDF
10-07-2013, 10:24
throw it in the vibrating cleaner, will be purdy in no time

PhillipM
10-08-2013, 02:05
DEN 42 is corrosive, be sure to clean your rifle accordingly!

joem
10-08-2013, 05:00
For me a rotary tumbles give the best results. It takes longer but the cases look better.

rifles4me
10-08-2013, 06:08
Thanks gentlemen!