PDA

View Full Version : Flint life?

LARscout
10-07-2013, 10:11
In your experience, what has been the longevity of your average flint. Offcourse depends on a few factors but just want to hear the numbers at the moment.

thanks

mhb
10-07-2013, 10:30
I usually get at least 50 shots from a good English flint. By 'properly adjusted', I mean that the lock must be of good quality and geometry, with springs of correct tension for their purpose - most commercially-built flintlocks can use some adjustment before they work at their best.
In addition, the flint must be of the correct size for the lock, properly (firmly) held in the cock with (my preference) leather pad, and adjusted so that it contacts the frizzen squarely about 1/3 of the height of the frizzen from the top - when new, it should be as close to the frizzen (NOT touching!) as the lock permits when at half-cock. Placement in the cock with bevel up or down will be determined by the actual flint (they vary quite a bit, being hand made), but should be positioned as noted above, and should give good scraping action down the whole face of the frizzen as the cock and frizzen work against each other.
I have not found it necessary to knap flints while in useable condition - the flaking action caused by impact with the frizzen essentially keeps the edge in sparking condition until the flint is worn too short and the angle on the flint edge will no longer permit proper contact with the frizzen.
A flint can occasionally break or fail earlier than expected, but I seldom get less than, say, 35 shots from a new flint, and not infrequently 75 or a few more.

mhb - Mike

LARscout
10-07-2013, 09:09
I agree entirely, good points you added too.

jimb
01-28-2014, 04:29
I usually get around the same. But I also reknap my musket flints after they get dull. Sometimes I can even cut them down for use as rifle flints. And on rare occasion, I can make pistol flints out of them if they are thin enoungh.

LARscout
10-18-2014, 01:56
In the time after writing this post, I've found out that on an average 70 effective strikes from a Tom Fuller flint in a Pedersoli BB. Another 20-30 strikes are possible if you do some additional knapping. With the reduced reach of the cock you will be hitting lower on the frizzen and thus getting more misfires...that is unless you move the re-knapped flint forward a little.
Still....can't beat 70-80 strikes for a $2 flint. For that price, it beats even centerfire priming.

Coffeecup
12-19-2014, 04:58
From an older Siler, I averaged about 40 shots; from a Bess lock I averaged about 65 shots. An original Nock "overcoat" or "pocket" pistol I shot for a while averaged about 20 shots, but that lock went off every time without exception.