PDA

View Full Version : Pam for case lube

Griff Murphey
10-04-2013, 10:40
I tried Pam yesterday to lube some 30-40 cases. I just sprayed them like I do with Hornady One Shot, tried to be careful, but got they pretty wet. As I was only neck sizing they were probably over lubricated but they sure sized easily. Cleanup took a while to wipe them dry, then I wiped out the case mouths with Q-tips.

I wonder if it might be better to apply it with a q-tip after spaying it into a disposable cup? Possibly lubing in the case mouth with a wet q-tip.

Maury Krupp
10-04-2013, 11:15
If the Hornady is anything like the Dillon spray lube you only need about half to a quarter as much with PAM. A light spray in a bag or over a tub is all it takes.

Then toss like a salad and it will migrate into the necks; no special neck lube needed.

Just in case you over-lubed, wipe the shoulder between thumb and forefinger as you put the case in the shell holder as insurance against dents.

Clean up with dishsoap or Simple Green and water. If you're in a hurry use denatured alcohol; a big hurry use acetone.

Maury

Griff Murphey
10-04-2013, 04:15
Thanks, Maury!

dogtag
10-04-2013, 06:35
I never use lube when neck sizing.
I've been doing it that way for years with many calibers.
Never had a problem.

Dollar Bill
10-05-2013, 05:27
PAM is 70-85% Canola Oil with the propellant being LP, butane and propane. Be very careful.
you can make your own "One-Shot" or a version of any other commercial spray case lube by mixing lanolin and isopropyl alcohol. Check out this link:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

About half way down the page. Works exactly the same as One Shot because the commercial spays are lanolin, alcohol and a propellant. In this case, you are using a standard pump sprayer so you're not paying for the propellant.

Skeet6
10-05-2013, 06:05
I've been using PAM for years ... works great. A little goes a long way.
Mike B

Griff Murphey
10-05-2013, 07:13
How does it do with full length such as GI brass 7.62/'06, etc.?

Maury Krupp
10-06-2013, 02:15
It's fine for all re-sizing but until you've got a feel for how much is too much watch out for shoulder dents. That's why I wipe the shoulder; just to be sure.

When you're done re-sizing, clean out your die with a degreaser (carb cleaner, mineral spirits/acetone) otherwise the canola/soybean oil will get gummy.

For me the advantages PAM (or the store brand if it's cheaper) has over a homebrew are that it's cheap, there's nothing special to buy or mix, and since I can get it almost anywhere, it's always in the kitchen cupboard.

It works great as a release agent for bedding too.

Maury

joem
10-07-2013, 05:32
I make my own case lube from "Fluid Film" and alcohol solvent. Looks and acts like Dillon's but way, way cheaper.

dogtag
10-11-2013, 02:45
Just tried some store brand PAM stuff on my 223 cases.
Worked just fine although the spray comes out pretty heavy.
Thanks for the tip about cleaning the die - I probably wouldn't
have thought about that and would have ended up with a gummy die.