PDA

View Full Version : 9mm & .40 bullets

Devil Dog
09-28-2013, 09:25
I have been reloading pistol ammo for years. Always using jacketed or cast lead (sized and lubed) bullets. At a recent gun show I bought some 165gr/124gr .40 and 9mm "fully plated" bullets made by Young Enterprises in Florida. They appear to be "jacketed" but I know this is only a plating. I have a couple questions. (1) Can I load these as I would Jacketed bullets or should I load to velocities as I would use for cast bullets? (2) When loading for the Glock mod. 22 (.40), would this copper "plating" solve the leading problem that I was told is prevalent in the older Glock mod. 22 type rifleing? (3) Is there a FPS barrier that I should use with these bullets? Should I treat them as cast or treat them as jacketed?
T.I.A

joem
09-28-2013, 10:57
Treat and load them as you would for hard cast lead bullets. I load both types and use cast lead tables.

Tuna
09-28-2013, 06:50
I didn't know Glock had changed the rifling in their barrels. Does Glock still void the warrantee if an owner uses reloads in their Glock with the new rifling?

Devil Dog
09-29-2013, 06:19
Thanks, joem. I will use cast lead tables.

I didn't know Glock had changed the rifling in their barrels. Does Glock still void the warrantee if an owner uses reloads in their Glock with the new rifling?
Somewhere I was told there is a difference between older and newer Glock rifiling. I may be mis-informed. I thought the reload/warrantee issue had more to do with the feed ramp support area of the chamber.(brass failure)
Just a thought: If there was a warrantee issue, how would Glock know if you were firing reloads? (assuming the pistol is thoroughly cleaned)

Art
09-29-2013, 07:28
Lead bullets, including plated or "copper washed" in any pistol with polygonal rifling, Glock or otherwise is supposed to be a real "no bueno" according to what I've read. The problem has to do with lead fouling to the point pressures can be raised to unacceptable levels.

If a manufacturer recommends against any practice relating to their product I usually look on it as a message from God.

Hefights
10-02-2013, 07:50
Except when they say that warranties are voided by reloading. That is a message from lawyers, and they are from the opposite place from God....

Devil Dog
10-04-2013, 05:32
I contacted Young Enterprises regarding the "leading" issue and they stated that they use their bullets in their Glock guns. I think I will load to hard cast specs, staying below 1000 fps and watch for leading and pressure problems.

p246
10-04-2013, 05:53
DD. Little late on the thread but I've shot lots of plated bullets through polygonal rifling with no issues. Lead not so much...