PDA

View Full Version : Browning 22 auto questions

PhillipM
09-27-2013, 08:50
I have a 1962 model my dad bought for me when I was born in 1968. It had a fairly tough life as I grew up! Somewhere, sometime I lost all the barrel locking piece, spring, and detent. I compensated for years by cranking the barrel nut down TIGHT. Then the silly thing started jamming by trying to shove two cartridges in the chamber at the once. To work around that I left the magazine tube uncompressed when chambering the first round. Next the fold down rear sight leaf broke, so I made a poor copy from some barn tin. At this point I was shooting my 22 by thumbing the rear sight upright, hoping my barrel didn't unscrew with the lock gone, and loading the first round with the mag spring unloaded so it wouldn't jam. I tried to adjust the elevation one day and the head of the screw snapped off. I threw it in the back of the safe after that for 15 years.

What got it out of the safe was a post on some forum regarding the bullet stop. I read it and it said something to the effect, "the often lost bullet stop". I pulled mine out of the safe, and lo and behold, at some point when I was a kid, I lost the bullet stop and that is why it jammed.

I ordered the bullet stop, and all the missing pieces of the takedown, the piece operated by the thumb and the spring and detent. I also ordered a barrel mounted scope mount and a Nikon rimfire BDC scope.

The problem I have is the piece that is thumbed to release the barrel moves too far forward allowing the detent to go past the end of the adjustment nut, requiring disassemblely to get it back in place.

Question 1: Do I build up the wood in the forestock to keep the release from moving too far forward?

Question 2: I have a backpacking trip on the horizon. The barrel mounted scope makes the barrel group too long to transport broken down. What is a good receiver sight? My rifle has the 3/8" dovetails.

I realize a take down rifle with sights on different parts is not going to be a precision rifle. I'm looking for minute of coyote or close quarters with a venomous snake accuracy.

usmc69
10-06-2013, 06:42
Take your question over to this forum. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17 I think you will get more answers.

AJ

Emri
10-06-2013, 07:55
The answer to Question 1 is.... Yes. The wood limits the travel of the latch. Most latch parts get lost when someone takes off the wood and then tries to remove the barrel. I keep those parts in stock and replace at least one a year, many times more than 1. A very popular rifle down here.

Question 2... Do you mean the reciever is grooved for 3/8" tip-off type rings? If so, Williams makes a peep sight that will clamp to them. I would just put the barrel sight back on. The reciever sight will hang down the left side of the reciever and add to the width of the gun and could well be damaged if bumped too hard. The barrel sight will fold down.

PhillipM
10-06-2013, 11:22
The answer to Question 1 is.... Yes. The wood limits the travel of the latch. Most latch parts get lost when someone takes off the wood and then tries to remove the barrel. I keep those parts in stock and replace at least one a year, many times more than 1. A very popular rifle down here.

Question 2... Do you mean the reciever is grooved for 3/8" tip-off type rings? If so, Williams makes a peep sight that will clamp to them. I would just put the barrel sight back on. The reciever sight will hang down the left side of the reciever and add to the width of the gun and could well be damaged if bumped too hard. The barrel sight will fold down.

Thanks, my friend. The receiver is grooved. My original rear sight broke so I installed the cantilever scope mount. I'll have to search for that Williams sight.