PDA

View Full Version : Military Ammo/ help ID ???

Emri
09-26-2013, 02:14
Shown is one of three boxes I recently received. All are wrapped like this one. I can see NO markings at all, anywhere on the wrapping, not even a smudge where one might have been.
The wrapping appears to be waxed brown paper with a foil lining, and is sealed.
Question..... Is this US ammo ?? Should I open one and see what is inside ??
I hesitate to do that unless no one knows what I have and can inform me.

Thanks !!

Emri

sdkrag
09-26-2013, 03:07
You have way more self control than I will ever have. I would open one.

scosgt
09-26-2013, 05:13
I am not sure, but the wrapping looks to be VietNam Era.
I don't think they had that type of packaging in WWI. And I have had some marked 10 round packs that were VN issue. So maybe.

kcw
09-26-2013, 07:44
The shape and material (foil) of the "tab" in pic #3 is VERY similar to the 10 round packs of Vietnam era XM 162 ammo I have.

Emri
09-27-2013, 05:24
Thanks guys,

Guess I'll open one and have a look-see. They came in a rotten box that was full of old commercial paper shells from the 40's and 50's. Poor storage in a barn rendered the commercial ammo useless but for salvaging shot. The boxes were falling apart and the shells had spilled out. These wrapped ones were on the very bottom and due to the packaging seem to have "survived" the poor storage. I'll follow up with what I find.

Thanks again,

Emri

scosgt
09-27-2013, 09:12
I suspect (I did see the other post with what is inside) that they are surplus WWII shells that the Gov't packed up for storage. They were probably originally in metal cans, which were eventually sold off. That would explain the lack of outer markings.

trenchcrazy
09-27-2013, 10:55
I am guessing Monark #8 shot by Federal Cartridge Corp.

James B.
09-28-2013, 05:30
I for one am unaware of Vietnam era shells in this type of foil wrapper, especially in 25 rd. boxes. Vietnam era manufactured shell wrappers are pretty well marked. I doubt any WWII paper shells would still be left in inventory. You never know what exactly is inside of unmarked foil wrappers. I seem to remember seeing 00B Federal Hi-Power (Duck Box) in unmarked foil wrapper. Also see Canfield's book 2 page 232. He shows Western Expert 00B shells,25 rd. boxes, inside foil wrappers but dosen't show the markings on the front. I'd like to know what they are......Bruce, if you're out there....
James B.

scosgt
09-28-2013, 09:13
He already opened one and they are WWII training loads.