PDA

View Full Version : Remington Model 11. US Marked

6thMARDIV
09-25-2013, 02:38
Found a Remington Model 11 for sale locally. Is US marked and has a 21" barrel. Asking price is $250.00

Were these used in combat any or for prison guards ?

Thanks.

scosgt
09-25-2013, 04:56
Yes, they were issued for combat and for guard duty.
The barrel should be 20", and should have a serial number matching the receiver.
For that price you can't really go wrong it is a (terrible) shooter.
Your shoulder bears the mass of not only the shell, but also the recoiling barrel. Not real pleasant to shoot.
IF the barrel is mismatched have a gunsmith check the headspace. They were matched numbered for a reason. You risk a KABOOM.

emmagee1917
09-26-2013, 10:03
They are a joy to shoot.
You must remove the foreend and set up the spring and rings in the right order and direction to match the ammo you're using , though.
Setting it for soft ammo and shooting slugs or buck will beat you up.
Setting it for hard and shooting whimpy will cause malfunctions .
Gun needs proper lube , but shoot the gun with the tube , spring , and brake rings dry . Reoil them for storage.
Chris

6thMARDIV
09-26-2013, 12:42
It's Parkerized and the S/N is 490958. has a bead front sight.

Emri
09-27-2013, 05:33
The majority of them were used for teaching "lead", on skeet fields, to air crews manning machine guns for air combat. They do need to be set up properly as emmagee1917 stated. Do however, lightly lubricate the mag tube. If shot dry, the friction rings can gall the mag tube. I have found that even when set for "heavy" loads ( clean and lightly lubricated ) they will function with field loads. A lot of what folks nowdays consider "high brass" dove loads were considered as heavy waterfowl loads when that gun was made.

FWIW,

Emri

scosgt
09-27-2013, 09:10
Actually, they came in both riot and longer barrel lengths. Commonly found are 26" with a Cutts on the end and no choke markings.
The long barrels were used for gunnery training and sport.
The short (20") barrels were used for combat and guard duty.
The riot guns are very common, so they should have seen use.

jeremy69
09-29-2013, 07:37
I have a sportsman model riot gun and took it to the local trap range, I don't know if breaking clay or the looks I got were more fun. I will have to take my 97 trench one of these days.

Drill Sergeant
10-08-2013, 03:21
[QUOTE=emmagee1917;330629]They are a joy to shoot.
You must remove the foreend and set up the spring and rings in the right order and direction to match the ammo you're using , though.
Setting it for soft ammo and shooting slugs or buck will beat you up.
Setting it for hard and shooting whimpy will cause malfunctions .
Gun needs proper lube , but shoot the gun with the tube , spring , and brake rings dry . Reoil them for storage.
Chris[/QUOTE

OK. How is the adjustment accomplished. Should it be marked under the forearm?

Johnny P
10-08-2013, 04:59
As noted, most were probably used teaching aerial gunners, followed by use of the short barrels as guard guns at defense plants. It would make a terrible combat weapon good only for very close combat, and terribly slow to load.

emmagee1917
10-09-2013, 11:58
Drill Sargeant
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=372992

4th one down has the picture you want .
Chris

Drill Sergeant
10-13-2013, 02:46
Drill Sargeant
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=372992

4th one down has the picture you want .
Chris

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it very much.

Tom in N.J.
10-15-2013, 02:04
One of the "details' for E-4s when I was in the Air Force was 'Chaser' or guard for the 'police' (pick-up) detail that picked up the trash along the road that cut thru our base. They gave you a Remington model 11 riot gun, five rounds, and four prisoners. They said "four out.. four in.. you take the place of any that get away......" Never lost one....

coppertales
10-17-2013, 06:19
Sounds like a cut down long barrel. The riot barrels had a small ramp under the bead. still a good buy at 250. I have a Savage 720 GI with a matching long barrel that has a Poly Choke. I contacted Poly Choke a few years back and was told yes, they installed Poly Chokes on military training shotguns. In fact, they still had the government equipment used for the installations. Yes, they do kick with that short barrel. I scored a riot barrel at a gun show for my shotgun.......chris3

scosgt
10-17-2013, 11:10
The Remingtons had Cutts Compensators on them. However there are some Stevens single shot US marked guns with Polychokes on the end.

The 720 had the "bead on ramp". The Remington did NOT.

coppertales
10-18-2013, 05:33
The Remingtons had Cutts Compensators on them. However there are some Stevens single shot US marked guns with Polychokes on the end.

The 720 had the "bead on ramp". The Remington did NOT.

thanks for correcting me on the sights............chris3