PDA

View Full Version : Japanese training rifle

Calfed
09-23-2013, 11:56
A few years back I bought a type 38 "Naval training rifle". I've been trying to get it working and noticed that it may be missing some bolt parts.

Here is a picture of the bolt...

Here is the whole rifle...

Seems like a spring and possible a few other items may be missing.

Anyone familiar with this bolt?

Thanks

Guamsst
09-23-2013, 02:55
You need a spring or it just won't work. Looks like that is all that is missing. Instead of spending $10-$40 for an original spring just rummage through some junk or spares until you find a spring that will fit in the firing pin recess. May have to cut to length or stack a couple of shorter springs. Not like you will be shooting this thing though.

Guamsst
09-23-2013, 02:57
Oh, and if you really can't find something, let me know, I have allot of junk and can work something for you.

Calfed
09-23-2013, 03:53
Thanks, Guamsst

Are the bolts for the training rifles mechanically the same as the regular Type 38 bolts?

Is there much of a market for these smoothbore training rifles?

Guamsst
09-23-2013, 05:57
Tough questions. Sometimes the bolts are identical, but I doubt they have proper heat treating. Usually the quality is pretty low since they were never meant to fire live ammo.

As to the market, Yes, there is a market. That market is fairly small and is made up mostly of serious collectors and those who like wall hangers.

I am trying to buy up training rifles when I get them because you can still pick them up for between $100 and $200 when you can find them.

Calfed
09-23-2013, 08:00
Thanks, Guamsst

Are these training rifles "firearms" under the law, requiring shipment to an FFL holder?

John Sukey
09-23-2013, 10:04
Those training rifles were only intended to fire blanks. The receiver is pot metal

Guamsst
09-24-2013, 06:15
Thanks, Guamsst

Are these training rifles "firearms" under the law, requiring shipment to an FFL holder?

Depends who you ask. Some folks will say yes, some will say no. My take on it is that they are not an actual firearm anymore than a Daisy BB gun. HOWEVER, it looks like a gun, acts like a gun and you can put a bullet in it. How much time do you want to spend in court explaining how wrong the ATF was?

Calfed
09-24-2013, 06:52
Depends who you ask. Some folks will say yes, some will say no. My take on it is that they are not an actual firearm anymore than a Daisy BB gun. HOWEVER, it looks like a gun, acts like a gun and you can put a bullet in it. How much time do you want to spend in court explaining how wrong the ATF was?

Good point.

Guamsst
09-24-2013, 11:44
Good point.

I've seen people selling 1891Nagants online as no FFL required even though they clearly state and show photos of a 1942 date receiver......pretty easy way to get in hot water over a silly law.

Calfed
09-24-2013, 01:03
I don't want to be a "test case"

Guamsst
09-26-2013, 06:28
Looks like a longer serial number than I usually see on a trainer and the top is always of interest. I used to collect trainers.

Most of mine are no numbers or 2 or 3 digit. I have 1 that is serial number 1, and 1 is stamped on many of the parts. Probably the number 2 rifle on the line and stamped more heavily due to being a new product for whoever made it.

The quality is higher than normal too. Are you sure it isn't a school rifle?