PDA

View Full Version : New Kimber

Matt K.
09-21-2013, 03:00
I picked up a CMP Kimber .22 for my son who joined his college's shooting club. Is there anything that needs to be tweaked before I drop it off? Lube points (outside the obvious) to hit with grease or oil?

Thanks.

Matt

Dave B from western NY
09-21-2013, 06:22
Matt, some of the rusty Kimbers had some rust in the bolt. The one I received in August did not, but there was surface rust on the sights and bolt. So if you have a rusty it may need a little attention in the bolt and the sights. My 82G was still in sealed bags - never opened for the serial number check and no cut mark on the stock and it still had some rust. I am not an expert and am not aware of any special lubrication points. I am sure your son will enjoy the rifle and hope he appreciates that you got it for him. BTW on rimfirecentral there is a section of the forum devoted to Kimbers, and it is mostly on the 82Gs from CMP, with many details on the rifle.

Dave

M1Garandy
09-22-2013, 07:52
Even if you can't see any rust in the bolt from the outside, take it apart and look inside anyway. Most of the cocking screws are reverse thread and they can be a bear to remove. Replacement cocking screws and firing pin springs are available.

Matt K.
09-30-2013, 05:18
Well, my son's first report is the rifle performed much better than the shooter. Apparently, the target is the size of a 1/2 dollar at 50 feet. So on the benchrest he obtained a good zero, but not as easy from the kneeling position (which is what they were practicing).

Devil Dog
10-02-2013, 10:12
It is very difficult shooting at a bull that is so small with target sights. Get a 4" or bigger bull eye and the groups will get smaller.

NuJudge
10-03-2013, 04:00
The two I have worked with had weak firing pin springs, and the springs were rusty too.

cnjcomp
03-08-2014, 09:10
You need to keep the cocking stud well greased so you will not gall the cocking cam in the bolt head. Remember, there are no spare parts.

gwp
03-09-2014, 06:58
There are a few parts available.

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/index.php?cPath=32

Fred Pillot
03-11-2014, 02:30
Remove the cocking stud (left hand thread) and use an oilstone or sandpaper to remove burrs from the cocking cam on the bolt or it will slowly grind into the cocking stud.