PDA

View Full Version : Hunting With 1898 Krag

PeteDavis
09-21-2013, 10:41
No time to bowhunt this year, so I have decided to hunt with my 1898 Krag when the rifle season comes around for 2013.

Here is the rifle. I traded into it and it has a great bore and nice patina. Just sound and solid:

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?34972-New-1998-Krag-from-1902

I am pretty sure this is the 1901 sight. I fired the rifle for the first time today, with Rem. 180 Core-Lokts. Smooth easy action, and even with very overcast conditions and my target back in the woods I got a good 1" group at 55 yds. It was centered about 3 1/4 inches to the right.

I read up on how to adjust, then unlocked the lever without incident and was able to pull the sight a full gradation to the left. Nice and tight in the sight body, not too easy to move which is good.

My rifle now fires dead-on at my range, centered in the bull. By the way I have never killed a deer beyond 87 yards and the majority are under 30. I have a pile of land on the mtn and have a portable stand I use to get over the scrapes to pick out the deer I want.

Anyone else ever do this with a Krag?

I did it in 2005 with a 1918 dated M1903. Recounted here:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/3E3C2C9F655BEEA

Would appreciate anyone sharing their hunting experiences with the Krag. I can already tell it's a real deer flipper.

Pete Davis in Lexington, Va.

http://www.fototime.com/2BDE80119DDD7F6/standard.jpg

Griff Murphey
09-21-2013, 01:32
I took a potshot at a turkey with a Krag in 1998 but no cigar! I was using my "hundred year old rifle" that year but I think I took my deer with a scoped 03a3 sporter.

jon_norstog
09-21-2013, 02:06
Pete,

My main hunting rifle has been a Krag. I had a real carbine, sold it like a fool, got a fake carbine and still use that one. Hunting on foot in the mountaINs you really appreciate that carbine-length barrel. I guess the long rifle is OK if you are in a tree stand, though. Once you get it up there!

Where we hunt, 65 yards is a long shot, unless you are in a burn or moose meadow. 30-40 is just about right for elk.

Good luck.

jn

sdkrag
09-22-2013, 03:51
I've used a Rem. 03 I sporterized 30 years ago or Win. 30-30 most of the time. But for kicks I used my 99 carbine one year and my full length 45-70 with cast lead black powder loads another. Didn't floor that one immediately but she was real easy to track (about 20 yds) and she did a wonderful break dance. The next year I used my Browning Mod. 95 reproduction in 30-40. They all did the job with one shot. Last year my sons and I all used our rifles we built (2 03/03-A3s and a Mauser) with hand loads to take our deer. That was cool. The oldest is now stationed 1200 miles from home getting trained on no budget to deploy to Afghanistan. Gotta love our Govt.

BudT
09-22-2013, 05:59
The last thing I used that was a 30-40 Cal. was my 1895 Winchester and it took exactly one shot to roll a WT buck over. The 30-40 cal. still has reputation as a good elk cal. in my part of the country. I am also told that it works great on black bear, wolves and other things that bite.