PDA

View Full Version : An almost free M1917 bolt disassembly tool.

Dad
09-17-2013, 04:57
Not having great faith, in the "coin" method of disassembling a M1917, bolt and not being able to locate the tool I had made from a metal washer, I looked around and came up with this tool made from the plastic clip for a baking potato bag.
The baking potato bag clips are much sturdier than the ones used for sliced toaster bread so that is why I used it.
It sure was a lot easier to make than the tool I made from the metal washer….

D.:1948:

budmant
09-17-2013, 06:39
That is so simple, it's brilliant!

Dad
09-17-2013, 07:17
It was one of those "slap forehead with palm" moments.
Here is a picture of the tool on the bolt.

D. :1948:

coppertales
10-17-2013, 06:28
good idea, thanks.....I will have to make one.............chris3

cwcoolcow
10-27-2013, 10:41
Used your "tool" today. Fantastic idea. Thanks :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Dad
10-27-2013, 11:42
Glad you guys liked it, ended up making a bunch for some friends with M1917s....

D. :1948:

Dom13
10-30-2013, 05:09
Being a bread delivery guy I have an unlimited supply of these. Great idea!

Col. Colt
06-14-2014, 01:16
Thanks ever so much!! What a great idea/observation! Simple, cheap, light - at your local grocery store, Now!! CC

albert
02-06-2015, 03:05
I've never taken my bolt apart. What does the tool do?

Col. Colt
02-06-2015, 05:59
Holds the firing pin/spring back so you can unscrew the firing mechanism safely as a unit from the back of the bolt. Necessary to check headspace, clean, etc. A coin on edge can be used, but could very well get you hurt. Always wear glasses when working on springs! CC

RC20
02-12-2015, 11:24
You can also take a 5/16 or 3/8 washer put it in a vice and cut a pair of parallel lines in it that hit the edge on each side, think of it as sort of a parallel horseshoe/shape. It would take some time to figure out how to do a picture. Slips right over the shank as it were (cocking piece, I have to look the parts up)

Bot take Down: Your safety is part of the bolt disassembly process (I have seen other method and they make no sense)

Start with bolt open and pulled back.

Move safety lever all the way back.

Close the bolt fully.

The Cocking piece will be pushed back and a space will open between it and the bolt sleeve. You slip an object in between in that gap (a nickel will work but a U shaped object is far better as the nickel is very iffy for staying put. )

You then unscrew the firing pin assembly out of the bolt body. If you put the U shaped object in lightly, you can remove that once the bolt assembly is out, and by pausing on the cocking piece release the spring tension and remove the firing pin, spring, sleeve and coking piece. When you assemble you have to push it all far enough apart and back together to slip the U shaped object in so you can screw it back into the bolt body.

then close the bolt, it opens the gap up again and remove the U shape object, open the bolt, put the safety back into the firing position and you are back in business.

Its more complicated to write it than it is to do it. Much better system than the 1903s.

RC20
02-21-2015, 04:48
I did try one of the plastic clips. It does work so I added it to my gun box I take shooting as I keep loosing my washer cut outs.