PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 97 arsenal rebuild metal buttplate

DougH
09-15-2013, 09:01
I have heard reference of Winchester 97 stocks being fitted with metal buttplates during arsenal overhauls, but no specifics. Does anyone know what type metal buttplates were used, exactly? I have seen a few later/low comb 97 stocks with what looks like a standard checkered steel Model 70 buttplate. Just wondering if this was a common/approved practice during overhaul procedures. Seems like alot of trouble to inlet the stock heel for the point/tang on these buttplates. Thanks

Tom Doniphon
09-15-2013, 11:16
Apparently they did use Model 70 metal buttplates as replacements. There seem to be several Model 1897 and Model 97 trench guns out there with these on them. I have a WWI trench with one on a high comb stock.

scosgt
09-15-2013, 09:47
The one that is commonly found is thin and wraps over the top of the stock, thereby ruining it for any future restoration.

It is generally accepted that the plastic plates broke all the time from the GI's playing "manual of arms" with the guns. So they replaced the plastic with metal.

It is not as issued, but like I said pretty common. Personally I would not want one. YMMV

DougH
09-16-2013, 03:30
Thanks for the response guys, that's what I suspected. I just haven't seemed to find much detailed info out there regarding rebuilds. Thanks again - Doug