PDA

View Full Version : K98 sling design?

GerryRA
09-14-2013, 07:58
K98 sling design

I’m trying to sort out the logic for the design of the sling for the German K98.

I see the utility of the side mounted sling – also used on the US M1 carbine, Japanese Type 99 rifle and Italian Model 1938 carbine. What I’m wondering is what advantage is a design with the rear end of the sling passing thru the buttstock and being fastened to a free buckle and stud assembly, and then having three button holes for the stud?

This combination of the thru slot in the buttstock with the buckle assembly consisting of stud, frame buckle and stud base, leather loop and then leather cover for the buckle and base seems to be more solution than the problem calls for.

A Type 99 stock mounted sling swivel, Model 1938 sling bar or even a thru stock slot with a stud affixed to the stock seems to be more simple, cheaper and easier to use. And why three buttonholes in the buckle end of the sling. If any but the last hole is used, the end of the sling running forward past the buckle interferes with the hold of the pistol grip.

Just wondering

JimF
09-15-2013, 05:14
I've wondered about the three holes in the end of the strap for years!

I now believe the soldier was to use the end-most hole FIRST . . . . Until it wore out (or broke off) . . . . Then move onto the middle hole . . . Again, 'til it broke . . . Then finally the last hole.

When that also broke, a new sling would be issued. --Jim

Embalmer
09-15-2013, 07:43
Wow something I can chime in about. Was at the range shooting ym k98, when a old guy next to me looked at the rifle, and came over for a closer look. he then started speaking to me in a heavy german accent, that the way I had the sling mounted was wrong, as I had it mounted with stud in last hole, with the 2 others torwards the tip were through the keeper. He stated that had to go in first hole, then over time will wear and beak off then, move down to next hole. if broke there, youd loose those 2 other fastening points much earlier than needed to be. Said was in the german Army with the 410th grenediers in WWII. Was fascinating talking to him for sometime that day, and a few other occasions after. Even enjoyed firing my M1 garand, and quoted "no wonder we lost". Sadly he passed a couple years ago.