PDA

View Full Version : Question in TDSF Lockplate

GrinerBros
09-13-2013, 07:00
I won a pile of TDSF parts at a recent auction and found a lockplate in there I was wondering about. Compared to the others without any dates, it appears to be around a quarter to 3/8 and inch shorter, It also has the date on it of 1864 and is about half again thicker than the normal TD lockplates. Seems to have similar parts for firing the hammer and the same eagle and U S Springfield on the side.

Is it actually for a TDSF? Is it for a Cadet rifle? Regardless which hammer should it have on it?

Any help would be much appreicated.

JimF
09-14-2013, 04:28
Probably for a musket or a 50-70 TD. --Jim

Dick Hosmer
09-14-2013, 09:01
There is NO difference in length, or shape, between the CW-period plates dated 1862-65, and the later 1873 plates. They do differ in thickness, and presence or absence of the edge bevel.

The only 'odd' member of the group is that for the 1866 (aka 1867) Cadet, which is midway in thickness between the other two, but still sports a slight bevel. They are dated 1867 ONLY, and the length/profile is the same.

So, the plate in question would seem to be either (1) something else, or (2) has been reshaped. The only other choice, that I can think of is the plate from an 1861 Special musket, but it would not say Springfield, and, AFAIK, were not dated as late as 1864.

GrinerBros
09-14-2013, 10:45
OK, Dick, it looks like you are right. They are both the same lenght now that I take the time to make an exact measurement. And it does have the eagle, the U S Springfield, and the 1864 to the left of the hammer.

So again I ask, what is the plate for?

Dick Hosmer
09-14-2013, 12:43
It was originally made for a Model 1864 (aka 1863 Type II) Rifle Musket from the Civil War, but certainly could have served a stint in any one of the several different Allin-design trapdoors, from the 1865 to the 1870, including four possible rifles, one carbine, and one cadet. The only trapdoor arm of the period to definitely be ruled out is the 1866(67) Cadet.

GrinerBros
09-14-2013, 04:42
I see some idiot has a stripped one on ebay right now with a buy-it-now or best offer for only 450.00, hehe. I wonder if he would buy mine at half that price since it has most of the parts.

Regardless thanks for the information Dick and Jim.

Dick Hosmer
09-14-2013, 04:59
There are PLENTY of idiots selling on eBay. MANY people automatically assume that if something is "old" it is "rare". Lockplates are not all that uncommon.

raymeketa
09-14-2013, 06:03
If you do not already know, several of the internal parts are different than the later parts because of the thickness of the plate. No big deal, it's just something you need to be aware of if you have to replace any of the parts.

Now, I'm going to ask a question. I'll probably be embarrased but, what is TDSF ??

Ray

GrinerBros
09-14-2013, 07:26
If you do not already know, several of the internal parts are different than the later parts because of the thickness of the plate. No big deal, it's just something you need to be aware of if you have to replace any of the parts.

Now, I'm going to ask a question. I'll probably be embarrased but, what is TDSF ??

Ray

Trapdoor Springfield?

Dick Hosmer
09-14-2013, 07:58
Trapdoor Springfield?

More like Trap Door Spring Field, I'd think! :eusa_wall:

raymeketa
09-14-2013, 08:13
Never heard that used. Maybe I need to get out more.

Ray

Dick Hosmer
09-14-2013, 10:36
Nor have I - believe me, I don't make up this junk, just try to answer the questions.

Also - I was TRYING to offer a bit of humor (a 4-character acronym WOULD require a four-word phrase, would it not?)

GrinerBros
09-15-2013, 07:09
Hey itt jsut the computer I use for Culvers. Only one of our 2 computers will bring up Culvers for some reason or another. And the one that does it is hard for me to see the keys. So I shorten the words all I can.