PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back Quality Hardware Carbine

JimmyK
09-04-2013, 03:09
I have a few questions about a friend's WWII Quality Hardware bring-back carbine. The carbine is not for sale. Per my friend's father, the carbine was liberated after the war ended from a large quonset hut on Okinawa. The hut contained a good number of firearms and Japanese swords (which sounds like it might have been a collection point for arms or confiscated booty). The father picked out “a nice one” from the pile and stowed it in his duffel bag. He was a warrant officer at the time and enjoyed duty that gave him relative freedom of movement, so was not ever questioned or checked.

The carbine is a late Quality Hardware S/N 4,84x,xxx. We went through the carbine and checked all the parts except for those in the bolt and the piston. I've no bolt tool and the carbine worked just fine at the range so no sense disturbing those parts. As I expected, everything appears to be period correct except for a few odd features. I'm wondering if anyone has run into these things in other bring-backs? (1) The wood has no rebuild marks and has its original finish. There is a slight depression of the size and in the location where the ordinance wheel should be, but nothing is there! The makers mark is not readable in the sling channel but does appear to have had something stamped there in what is now a slight depression. (2) There are absolutely no marks on the underside of the two rivet handguard and there appear never to have been any marks. There are no depressions, damage or signs of refinishing on either piece of wood. The wood has a few expected handling marks but is as the father said “a nice one.” (3) The type 2 brazed together front sight lacks the sight protection ears. This feature I've noticed on a few carbines—does it show-up on bring-backs?

Nothing else is odd about this carbine for its serial number range. All other marks are there, the finish is consistent and appears to be all original. The family does NOT need money and the arm is NOT for sale. The father and the son have done nothing to the arm. My gloss on the carbine is that some GI in a rear echelon post had it, and burnished those pesky makers and ordinance marks out when he was “boning” his stock. The metal has never been put to much service so the modifications to the front sight does not look like a “front line” modification. Any of this make much sense?

Johnny in Texas
09-04-2013, 03:24
the front sight mod it very common some were done in service as the user did not like the fact that is a rush the ears could be used as the sight and cause missed shots. It was also done stateside for the same reason. sure would like to see some pics of that stock and metal!

Tuna
09-05-2013, 07:07
April 1944 for the serial number. What type of rear sight and barrel band does it have?

JimmyK
09-05-2013, 04:58
Thanks Tuna for the time frame. The barrel band is an unmarked type 2. It is legitimate and not an altered type 3. The rear sight is a machined type 2, marked with an H within a shield. My references seem to indicate that Quality carbines should have an unnumbered stamped type 3 sight. I forgot to check on the rear sight in my original post. Is the rear sight an upgrade or are my references incorrect and some Quality carbines got the machined rear sight?

I neglected to take a few photos when the carbine was here. I'll post some shots in a few days.

hog611
09-05-2013, 05:14
I know that this is not going to stay here so you dont need to tell me anything I know where you stand !!!!!!!! I bought a Inland .30 Carbine from Deans Gun Restorations in Jacksboro Tennessee. It looked great, but the slide would not latch open, the problem was that the receiver was worn out to the point that the slide would ride so high off the receiver that the pin would not engage the slot in the receiver. All dean wanted to do was put a longer pin in the slide arm. Give me a break , I am stupid but not that stupid, he held $ 300.00 of my damn money when he got the Rifle back. I you think that is koser, well I wont go further right now!!! Go ahead erase it who gives a s**t but I wont quit here, he f***ed me I dont care what anybody says !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Tuna
09-05-2013, 08:24
I will say that nothing I have read states they used the type 2 sight with the H. I.R. Co stamped sights is listed though for the tail end of production and your carbine would fall into that range. Both the type 2 and 3 rear sights were available at the end of most carbine production but not enough for all makers to use them both if any at all. IT very well could be original and it could be a replacement. Just no way to tell for sure.

michelle-dgr
09-06-2013, 11:31
Here is what we sent to the BBB:

The issue with this case is not the rifle. The rifle was sold with a one year warranty, which would have covered any failures in parts or workmanship. However, DGR (Dean’s Gun Restorations) was not notified when Mr. Edwards perceived a problem and proceeded to have his gunsmith attempt an ill-advised and incorrect repair (welded on slide), at which time the warranty was voided.

Days later, per our phone conversation (Mr. Edwards, Dean – owner of DGR & Michelle – general manager of DGR) Dean informed Mr. Edwards he would correct the mistakes his gunsmith made at cost (estimated $100) which Mr. Edwards refused and insisted on sending the rifle back to DGR at which time I (Dean) stated there would be a charge of $100 for repairing the slide, plus a 20% restocking fee, because DGR was not allowed to address perceived issues. These terms were verbally agreed upon and once we received the firearm back we refunded Mr. Edwards $1096.

F.Y.I. I still have the slide that they welded on, plus we have a picture of the inside of the receiver which he claimed was worn out, which in fact speced no different then any of the other receivers in the shop.

Dean Dillabaugh-DGR
Owner

Response direct from the BBB: Thank you for your cooperation in responding to the above consumer's complaint. Your company has made a good faith effort in attempting to resolve this issue; therefore we are closing the case at this time.

Thanks everyone at CSP for contacting us about this. Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

Thanks, Michelle-DGR
GM

Embalmer
09-06-2013, 07:39
I know that this is not going to stay here so you dont need to tell me anything I know where you stand !!!!!!!! I bought a Inland .30 Carbine from Deans Gun Restorations in Jacksboro Tennessee. It looked great, but the slide would not latch open, the problem was that the receiver was worn out to the point that the slide would ride so high off the receiver that the pin would not engage the slot in the receiver. All dean wanted to do was put a longer pin in the slide arm. Give me a break , I am stupid but not that stupid, he held $ 300.00 of my damn money when he got the Rifle back. I you think that is koser, well I wont go further right now!!! Go ahead erase it who gives a s**t but I wont quit here, he f***ed me I dont care what anybody says !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

the heck this have to do with this thread???

da gimp
09-07-2013, 06:36
the kid knows if he put it on an independent thread that it would be erased & him in the romper room...........time for someone to pm jeff on him again.

jimb
09-09-2013, 01:14
Sounds to me like the barrel indexing was off just a bit. That is an easy fix.

liketoshoot
01-04-2014, 03:12
Hi Hog611
I've been following your stated difficulties with DGR. I notice that you have shared your perceived experience with them on a number of forums. My interest in your experience is based on the fact that I have just purchased a product of theirs that I will comment upon once I receive it. I only have one issue with your explanation of events concerning the purchase of you M-1 carbine from DGR. I think my concern is best summed up in this link I'll provide. I hope you read the link and I hope others on this forum read the link and comment on it with facts and not emotionalism. Thank you for your help. Here is the link http://www.bbb.org/knoxville/busines...993/complaints

us019255
01-05-2014, 09:22
I
What's with the angry guy, anyway?

I think he needs to take a couple of Tokes and chill out. Easier in CO, but possible anywhere.

phil441
01-05-2014, 09:56
I think he needs to take a couple of Tokes and chill out. Easier in CO, but possible anywhere.

Got kinda old pretty quick didn't it......

Embalmer
01-06-2014, 03:51
Got old months ago