PDA

View Full Version : Underwood carbine

johnboy
09-01-2013, 08:19
Have an m1 carbine ser, number 14286xx barrel date 3-43 underwood, all org, flip sight, flat blue bolt, hi wood, dogleg hammer blue, stock has UEF overGHD in a box along with a cross cannons cartouche ,hand guard marked with Pedersen in script. Along with .U.,2 rivet , has P in circle on pistol grip,all parts are marked with .U. Or has the flaming bomb on it , no rebuilt or import marks on stock has patina on metal might be a bring back? Question the only part that is not marked with the underwood mark is the recoil plate and it is marked with RO-Q this recoil plate was really hard to get out of stock, lot of grease or oil gunk, could it be org, to this carbine?.. For sale $1500.00 plus shipping pic,s by e mail .

Johnny in Texas
09-01-2013, 08:40
No one can say for sure how is the stock marked in the bevel? If it is Q-RMC stock it may have been shipped from Quality Hardware to Underwood with the recoil plate installed. There was a lot of parts sharing in those early days. Most early Underwood carbines have RMC marked stocks.

phil441
09-01-2013, 09:26
H.B. Rouse & Co. Chicago Ill. for Quality Hardware. That's all I can offer. I'll leave it to our more learned members to say how it ended up on your carbine.....

johnboy
09-01-2013, 09:38
Stock is Underwood, has PU in sling cut

Johnny in Texas
09-01-2013, 10:58
I would say it was probably from lateral support from QH It would be a very unusual part to be replaced I would think.

Tuna
09-02-2013, 06:20
While Underwood did receiver recoil plates from Winchester, Inland and a few from Rock-Ola, there are none listed as coming from Quality Hardware. But it very well could be one that Rock-Ola had made for Quality Hardware but shipped 2000 to Underwood instead in May 1943 That is just about the build date for your serial number. So I would leave it for sure.

BrianQ
09-02-2013, 08:29
But it very well could be one that Rock-Ola had made for Quality Hardware but shipped 2000 to Underwood instead in May 1943 That is just about the build date for your serial number.

Except for the fact the recoil plate wasn't made by Rock-Ola.

Johnny in Texas
09-02-2013, 09:50
Brian what is your opinion of the possible source?

BrianQ
09-02-2013, 01:10
The source is H.B. Rouse & Co. as phil441 posted. How it found it's way into an Underwood stock is the question. Currently there is no data to support QHMC integrated recoil plates to UEF. There is nothing listed in the integration records and RO-Q recoil plates don't show up in UEF carbines around your serial number. Coupled with the fact QHMC sent very few parts to the other manufacturers it is likely the recoil plate was replaced at some point.

Is the RO-Q recoil plate a type 2or type 3?

johnboy
09-02-2013, 02:41
It is a type two