PDA

View Full Version : Ruger flatgate single six

TAXICAT
08-29-2013, 05:53
Can use 22 a magnum cylinder and shoot 22mags out of an early flatgate single six. 1956 production.
Thanks frank

Johnny P
08-29-2013, 07:41
From my experience with the Rugers when they made the convertibles, they shot one or the other good but not both.

I would let some collector have the flatgate and find one of the convertibles.

da gimp
08-30-2013, 04:53
if the flatgate is pretty, keep it, they are not making any more of em, buy a Single Six convertible for a user as Tuna says.......

Chris W.
08-31-2013, 07:49
I have a single six flatgate that has both LR and Mag cyl, both in the box. I also have the original purchase receipt that doesn't call this Ruger single six a "convertible " Think it's late 50's production. Something fishy about the setup, bag the mag cyl is in looks home made, the draw strings as well. Dimensionally both cyl are exactly the same with the SN of the gun stamped into the face of the mag cyl ?? Factory ?? Don't know, have yet to fire the mag cyl. came to me in my fathers estate. I've always wondered if the 22 LR and Mag use the same bore and rifleing sizes, or if it's a compromise on bore and rifling with both working ??? Gun itself is well used, 75% condition or so. Mag cyl. shows use, but very little. To answer the OP question, if mine is factory, the answer would be yes, is my mag cyl. factory, can't say for sure. I know as a retired machinist I could be making hundreds of these mag cyl. at home every month. Processes used on this one suggest a factory cyl.
Chris