PDA

View Full Version : Super Blackhawk questions

joem
08-23-2013, 06:09
I have a ruger superbalckhawk that I shoot quite a bit. The problem I've been dealing with is that the screws seem to work loose on the frame. I've tried loc tite blue, worked for a little while. Loc tite RED, worked longer. Loc tite red plus staking in place, holds up pretty well. Entire center pin latch launched itself out at the range. Hats off to Ruger, they sent one in the mail no charge. When the screws loosen up I can tell as accuracy goes down hill quickly. Does anyone else have this problem and what is the solution?:icon_scratch:

aintright
08-23-2013, 12:50
You shooting reloads ? If so , are you staying with in the loading tables recommendations ? If so , I would consider contacting Ruger and see if they would replace the gun or fix it . But if you're staking the screws and still shaking them loose , sounds like your loads might be a tad hot . Just my two cents , Kenneth

joem
08-23-2013, 03:03
Yes I'm shooting reloads but they are well within specified parameters. I usually shoot 50 to 100 rounds at the range every week. I always load 240 grain bullets. There is a product made by Loc Tite called bearing mount. This locks things up forever and the only way would be to drill out the screws and I don't want to do that.

aintright
08-23-2013, 05:15
Sounds like you need to contact Ruger and see what they can do for you . I can't recall this happening on any revolvers I have ever owned and I used to shoot 300 + rds a weekend . Kenneth

p246
08-23-2013, 06:28
I have an older pretransfer bar in 44 magnum. It only shoots heavy loads, but not as much as you are shooting. I've never had an issue with it.

Major Tom
08-24-2013, 06:33
I have no issues with my Ruger's screws. With the the cylinder pin latch; I replaced that with an after market latch and pin (the long rod that holds the cylinder in the frame). Don't recall maker's name off hand tho. I reload very heavy loads for mine.

p246
08-24-2013, 07:40
Wasn't there an issue with some cylinder throats being slightly too small upping pressures in some blackhawks causing some guns to break. I have a friend that's a Blackhawk nut. I remember him talking about it. I'll try and get a hold of him and find out.

da gimp
08-24-2013, 12:18
joe, we shoot a flat top .45LC at published max levels quite regularly & have never had a problem............. your idea of staking the screws & locktite should have corrected any problems & and am puzzled that it did not............ Check your private messages, & call me, I'll give you our old gunsmith's phone #, Billy is an old hillbilly who is thouroughly enamored with Ruger single actions...........

Drill Sergeant
08-24-2013, 09:13
The same thing happens to my Rugers. I just retighten and continue on.

BudT
08-25-2013, 04:47
joem, I lost the front trigger guard screw out of my Ruger Super BH .44 mag just as you discribed. Loc tite with a new screw fixed it no problems since but I dont shoot it a lot. Around hunting season I get it and the heavy +P+ hard cast loads out and check the 25 yard zero then unless I need to pull it for what ever reason I dont shoot it just pack it. My biggest problem was the front sight being to low.

ridgerunner
01-12-2014, 11:04
Joem,
I have both a long and short barrel Super BH. Although I now shoot my 29 smith more, I never had an issue with screws loosening on either Black hawk. Both of mine are stainless. It might make a difference.

Gary and Karen
01-28-2014, 11:18
We have had similar problems with Ruger. Just tighten and continue. And be sure to eyeball them often so you don't lose them.
Karen

Major Tom
01-29-2014, 07:53
Put clear nail polish on the threads, tighten them down. Invest in a good gunsmith screwdriver set.

joem
02-01-2014, 04:58
Problem solved with red loc tite and staking the screws in place. Good thing I will never have to remove them.

da gimp
02-03-2014, 07:45
man joe are you tempting fate by saying that..................if'n you see a good soldering iron cheap, I'd pick it up.................applying the point of a good soldering iron to the head of a screw that's been loc-tited will sometimes make it easier to back out................sometimes.. if the evil demons of gunsmithing aren't ticked off...........