PDA

View Full Version : No longer semi auto?

Mike R.
08-21-2013, 10:35
Can a standard carbine gas piston be removed and a plug installed to make the carbine a single shot weapon ? Will this cause any damage to any part of the carbine ? Is there a plug to fit the gas piston threads ? Thanks for any info or help.

mike24d20
08-21-2013, 11:04
Why ruin a good carbine when you can just load one round at a time? Better to ask a Good Qualified gun smith like DGR or Chuckindenver. Reason beign that if you do a BUBBA JOB you might get a face full of slide in your kisser. Be safe

kcw
08-22-2013, 04:55
I simply cut enough off the rear end of a gas piston so that there wasn't enough "throw" to engage the end of the slide. That effectively made it into a straight pull bolt action.

joem
08-22-2013, 08:00
Can a standard carbine gas piston be removed and a plug installed to make the carbine a single shot weapon ? Will this cause any damage to any part of the carbine ? Is there a plug to fit the gas piston threads ? Thanks for any info or help.

I must ask, why would you do that?

Mike R.
08-22-2013, 08:44
I would do this because the state in which I live is probably going to pass a law making my semi auto M1 carbine an "assault rifle" and require me to get a permit to own it.

tizzi88
08-22-2013, 10:06
Two choices:
1. Vote the incumbents out, or
2. Move
For what it's worth; merely changing a part to make an semi-auto a single shot won't change the ability for someone to change it back. Just like an M2 carbine without the critcal components is still a full-auto rifle.
My thoughts.

joem
08-22-2013, 11:57
Tizzi88 could be correct. It will depend how the law is written and if there is a grandfather clause.

Dolt
07-30-2014, 09:48
Or you could just say "no"

StockDoc
07-30-2014, 06:41
Don't think you can get a permit, wait till the law is passed and see what happens. See what the description will be, maybe a bullet button will suffice. Build a bullet button design and become well off.

1mark
07-30-2014, 08:11
If your state classifies the M1 Carbine as an "assault weapon" than making it a single shot will not do anything. It is still an M1 Carbine and it can be fixed to semi auto again. If you need a permit than just get one that is if they pass the law.

Chris W.
08-01-2014, 07:05
What state are we talking about here ??
Chris

bug
08-01-2014, 01:24
I would do this because the state in which I live is probably going to pass a law making my semi auto M1 carbine an "assault rifle" and require me to get a permit to own it.

Wait til it happens. If it does then get the permit. Don't alter the gun.

Sunray
08-02-2014, 11:15
"...making my semi auto M1 carbine an "assault rifle..." Done Federally by ITAR already. However, I don't think anybody is making gas plugs commercially. You'd need a machinist. Doesn't do anything bad to change the piston to a solid plug. Turns the carbine into a straight pull bolt action or a pump with an added part to the forestock.
Mind you, like 1mark says, it may not matter if the law is worded stupidly. We have that sort of thing up here. Our stupid law says, "...or any variant..." for some rifles that got declared evil.

Chris W.
08-02-2014, 01:37
Might also be a problem calling a carbine a " Assault Rifle " due to the fact the BATF has already classified all of the originals as C&R rifles. Stranger things have happened, could somehow limit the mag size to less than 10 rounds as California has done. Interesting side note is that if you owned original magazines prior to the ban with your rifle, they are still legal even in California, just can't sell, trade or give them away to anyone in that state. Same thing goes for any high capacity mag there owned before the ban, they are grandfathered. Don't think any state lawmakers would want the hassle of fighting over the Curio and Relic status the BATF has already given, might make for a interesting court case. In this case I also can't imagine the BATF changing it's status to satisfy some state law.
Chris

kcw
08-02-2014, 05:28
The devil would be in the details of the law. Does the law deem that "once a semi-auto, always a semi auto" (as is the AFT's position on full auto guns) or will the state law allow a semi to be "permanently" modified (ie filling the pocket for the gas plug with weld) to make it a straight pull bolt gun?

JOHN42768
08-03-2014, 12:50
Count your Blessing you are not in NYS. The law makes any removable magazine feed semi-auto firearm an assault weapon if it has any "ONE" of the following features: folding stock, protruding pistol grip, bayonet lug, compressor or a magazine capable of holding more then 10 rounds. Even a ten round magazine can only be loaded with seven rounds. You may still own them, but they must be registered. Even the magazine by itself if more then ten round capacity is considered an assault weapon, So if you own an early original configured M1 Carbine with a 15 round magazine, it must be registered. Throw the magazine away and it is legal. Any upgraded M1 Carbine with a type 3 band is considered an assault weapon. Same M1 Carbine without the type 3 band or magazine is not an assault weapon. They also do not consider the 100 year rule to be an antique. I was told to be an antique it must be a muzzle loader or a firearm that ammo is no longer manufactured. Not a lawyer, but that is my take on this Unconstitutional law. John

kcw
08-03-2014, 06:30
Count your Blessing you are not in NYS. The law makes any removable magazine feed semi-auto firearm an assault weapon if it has any "ONE" of the following features: folding stock, protruding pistol grip, bayonet lug, compressor or a magazine capable of holding more then 10 rounds. Even a ten round magazine can only be loaded with seven rounds. You may still own them, but they must be registered. Even the magazine by itself if more then ten round capacity is considered an assault weapon, So if you own an early original configured M1 Carbine with a 15 round magazine, it must be registered. Throw the magazine away and it is legal. Any upgraded M1 Carbine with a type 3 band is considered an assault weapon. Same M1 Carbine without the type 3 band or magazine is not an assault weapon. They also do not consider the 100 year rule to be an antique. I was told to be an antique it must be a muzzle loader or a firearm that ammo is no longer manufactured. Not a lawyer, but that is my take on this Unconstitutional law. John

I did just that, got rid of the Type 3 band and install a Type 1. I've entrusted my 15 & 30 round GI mags to the cousin in OH. I had a couple of five round "hunting" mags and have now obtained a few ten round mags. So now I don't have an "assault rifle" or any "hi cap" carbine mags that need to be registered. A federal judge has ruled that we can load ten rounds. An "antique" under the SAFE Act applies to guns more than 50 years old at the time of enactment (any USGI carbine). Those guns, if they have any single listed feature, and any "antique" mags must be registered, but they can be resold, provided you go through and FFL. A commercial carbine less than 50 years old (ie. Universal) with any of the nasty features cannot be resold in NYS but can be possessed if registered. Without any of the nasty features it's OK, for now anyway. After market Hi cap 30 carb mags are contraband all together and "antique" GI mags cannot be registered with the commercial carbine or otherwise owned unless you have a registered GI carbine. If your "antique" carbine has no nasty features, but you want to keep your antique GI mags, you must register the carbine with the mags. Is it any wonder that so many people are confused by the law that they've simply squirreled their stuff away?

Mike R.
08-08-2014, 09:07
Yes I am counting my blessings ! The governor used a veto on this bill, but in California you can never tell what they will come up with next time. Thanks to all that posted in this thread.

joem
08-13-2014, 05:38
Have a barrel with no gas plug and install it on the rifle. Hide the original barrel.