PDA

View Full Version : Be careful what you wish for.

Guamsst
08-15-2013, 01:23
I decided a while back that I needed to upgrade my Type44 Cavalry Carbine. I have a pretty nice GI bringback but it is missing mum and has a name in the stock. Last weekend at Tyler I decided I really need to start an honest search for a mummed matching numbers rifle. Lo and Behold, Saturday morning one walked in and darn near came straight to my table. The guy said he wanted to sell it so I asked how much. He said $1,750. I caught my breath and as patiently and calmly as I could explained to him why he was completely off with his pricing of a rifle that had had ALL of the finish removed from the wood and ALL of the metal "preserved" with a coat of silver paint and yellowed lacquer. It was also missing the forward sling swivel and magazine follower. I explained all the things wrong with it and then showed him the price guide showing that high end value in perfect condition was $800. I told him I could only offer him $250 since it would take allot of elbow grease to salvage the gun. I suggested he take it around the show and get some counter offers from other dealers then come back and see me. My tried and true approach of patience and honesty came through though. A few hours later he came back and said "is your original offer still good?" I gave him the $250, he thanked me for my honesty and I am now the owner of a numbers matching, mummed fixer upper.

I cleaned the bore on Sunday. It had rifling and that was about all it had going for it on Saturday. As the brush came through so did allot of black carbon and red rusty colored dirt. 10 minutes and 40 patches later it actually had a nice shiny bore.

This "thing" might turn out nice when I am done.

Michaelp
08-17-2013, 01:30
$800 as high end for a T44 is robbery. Even with current depressed prices. Love those official price guides.

The paint will come off with some work and the missing parts are un unnumbered.
A pretty good deal. Rods present?

Guamsst
08-17-2013, 06:50
Depends on where you are at, East Coast gunbroker prices are robbery, a decent Type 99 can go for $800 from time to time despite being $300 in the same condition around here. In most of the central Midwest I am seeing more in the $400-$800 range for good to excellent condiction on Type44s. Oddly enough, unmolested complete originals are usually $400-$500 while ones Bubba has screwed up the finish on or done some initial carving on are the ones that tend to be priced at $800

Rods weren't present or I would have went much higher on my offer.

Griff Murphey
08-18-2013, 05:51
Congrats on your great find. One of my high school ROTC buddies was nuts for the nips and had a bunch of them including a paratrooper. A couple of them he had rechambered to accept .30'06 blanks, so you might want to watch for that. Maybe carry an '06 dummy with you.

This guy had lived in Japan for a year, and had tons of built up Jap plastic kits of ships and aircraft unknown to most Americans, had been to Eta Jima Naval Academy and had a set of their band's recordings of "Battleship March" etc. He kind of disappeared after high school graduation and nobody in our old high school ROTC community knows what happened to him or his collection.

pdawg1911
09-05-2013, 05:21
If you know anyone with a full mum, excellent condition, all matching Type 44 for $800 or less please send them my info.

Thanks,
Pat

Depends on where you are at, East Coast gunbroker prices are robbery, a decent Type 99 can go for $800 from time to time despite being $300 in the same condition around here. In most of the central Midwest I am seeing more in the $400-$800 range for good to excellent condiction on Type44s. Oddly enough, unmolested complete originals are usually $400-$500 while ones Bubba has screwed up the finish on or done some initial carving on are the ones that tend to be priced at $800

Rods weren't present or I would have went much higher on my offer.

Guamsst
09-06-2013, 04:03
If you know anyone with a full mum, excellent condition, all matching Type 44 for $800 or less please send them my info.

Thanks,
Pat

Go to the Tulsa Arms show or hit up the midwest gunshows. Downside is, most people around here don't want em still, so I couldn't count on moving one at $600.