PDA

View Full Version : OJP 60

George in NH
08-14-2013, 11:04
Hi All,
I made a mistake the other day and mixed in one round of .30-OJP 60 while shooting. Please advise if this ammo is known to have corrosive priming. I did start the cleaning process right after firing but not with water, Windex etc. After finding my mistake yesterday I swabbed the bore again and did not find any rust. Of course the bore was still damp with solvent from the firing day so that may have forestalled any damage. If this ammo is known to be corrosive than I will switch to GI bore cleaner. TIA!! George in NH

Johnny in Texas
08-14-2013, 08:05
When in doubt clean the bore 3 times on consecutive days using water or corrosive bore cleaner always leave bore wet with Hoppe's or similar compound. The salt can become embedded in the copper fouling so lots of water is the key to flushing out salt.

Tuna
08-15-2013, 05:36
If I remember right OJP from Austria is considered to be corrosive up through 1965. It is also considered to be too hot for the M1 on a steady basis by some. Best to clean your bore for corrosive primer residue.

George in NH
08-15-2013, 09:34
Thank you to Johnny in Texas and Tuna!

Rick the Librarian
08-19-2013, 06:02
If I remember right OJP from Austria is considered to be corrosive up through 1965. It is also considered to be too hot for the M1 on a steady basis by some. Best to clean your bore for corrosive primer residue.

I remember a bunch of it was sold about 10 years ago, and that was the summary of knowledge - that it was machine gun ammunition from Austria and too "hot" for steady use in the M1.