PDA

View Full Version : M1922 M2 barrel

SSgtTurbo
08-13-2013, 07:38
Does anyone know where I can get a M1922 M2 barrel? I have a complete M2 that was sporterized and the barrel is cut down to 18.75 inches. Or does anyone know of a reproduction or aftermarket barrel for it? Any help or info on this would be appreciated.

ZinClepto
08-13-2013, 11:30
I have 2 Barrels that came with mine. My original Barrel 5-22 and then the barrel that was upgraded when the serial number was marked A and it went to an M2 That barrel is marked 5-37.
I am trying to find out if keeping both barrels add's to the collector value of my rifle (serial # 106A)? If it does not, I would be happy to sell you a barrel. If so, then I am afraid not.

Ken

SSgtTurbo
08-14-2013, 12:03
Thanks for the reply. I would be interested in buying one of them. But like you said if having 2 of them ads value to your gun then I would suggest keeping it. Do you happen to know if the the early barrels work on the later guns? Mine is an M2 serial # 4155 I was wondering if the M1922 M1 barrel is compatible with the M2. My M1903 collectors book says the M2 model has the barrel set farther back in the receiver. I wonder if they made changes to the barrel over the years or are they all the same throughout production of all the M1922 models.

ZinClepto
08-14-2013, 01:39
I am by NO MEANS an expert. In fact, I am just beginning to learn about these since I became the owner of one recently. From all indications, however the Barrels do both seem to work on an M2.
The changes are the sight at the end of the barrell is slightly different on them. The original doesnt have a round radius hole to look through when lining up a shot. Otherwise, they seem very much the same.
As soon as I get some clarification from the knowledgeable sources on the board, il be able to tell you if I can let one of the barrel's go. If so, PM me and we can try to work something out.
I do believe that extra genuine barrel's are not easy to find.
I actually happen to be looking for a genuine M2 Magazine Cartridge. I have an aftermarket magazine currently.

SSgtTurbo
08-14-2013, 05:07
Thanks again for the reply. It's good to know that the early pre M2 barrels should work on my rifle. I think I saw a post with somebody selling a magazine wasn't sure if it is an original or not. But I think the sale fell through. Also try ebay someone just sold one about a week ago on there. Here are some pics of the current state of my M2.

Kragrifle
08-14-2013, 05:27
Barrels interchange. Late M2 barrels are shorter by about 1/4 inch and will have a groove just behind the front sight. All will interchange, but you need to keep head space in mind.

SSgtTurbo
08-14-2013, 05:39
Thanks for the info on the barrels.

SSgtTurbo
08-14-2013, 12:27
There are 2 original magazines for sale on gun broker. http://www.gunbroker.com/Rifle-Magazines-Rifle-Clips/BI.aspx?Keywords=Springfield++

Herschel
08-15-2013, 04:27
Without knowing what your object is with the rifle it is difficult to make suggestions. The stock on your rifle has been slimmed down, the barrel shortened, the bolt handle ground for scope clearance and the metal refinished.
A replacement barrel will cost $200.00 or more. A replacement stock will cost $200.00 or more. A correct bolt will cost $125.00 or so. That will be a $500.00+ additional investment and you will still have a rifle with parts that don't match in color. Today I don't know where I could buy these parts at the prices I have estimated. There will be additional expense in getting the barrel swapped out.

SSgtTurbo
08-15-2013, 08:28
Hersel thanks for the reply. My stock seems to be normal with the exception of a grommet added to the bottom. The width seems the same as my 1903 stock on my other rifle. I'm going to swap out the barrel for an original once I find one for sale. The rifle doesn't need to be perfect but just needs to be a nice shooter. Might eventually get the action refinished. Do you have a suggested company that does a good job on refinishing the metal work?

Herschel
08-16-2013, 04:18
SSgtTurbo,

Your M2 stock seems to have been shaped/slimmed a bit behind the pistol grip. Check your private messages.