PDA

View Full Version : 1898 Krag rifle stock tang crack

stiff
08-13-2013, 05:45
Gentlemen,
I have a 1898 rifle that I would like to take out shooting, but it appears to have an old crack (approximately 5/16" in length) extending from the top of the stock,immediately behind the receiver (see picture). I assume that by shooting it I run a reasonable risk of making this crack much worse? Should I avoid shooting it and just have the stock repaired? Thank you for you time!

http://i44.tinypic.com/33deb7q.jpg

madsenshooter
08-13-2013, 06:04
I've done one of two things with the rifles I have that are similarly cracked. Either I leave them alone and check to see if they're growing, or I fill them with a thin epoxy. Insuring that the action screws are tight might go a long way toward avoiding them.

dave
08-14-2013, 04:29
You can also take some wood out behind the rifle tang and glass the area, bedding the rifle in this area. Use a '03 or Mauser action screw sleeve in the action screw hole. '03 have these don't they?

musketshooter
08-14-2013, 08:52
The cause of tang cracks is usually the absence of the rear stock bushing. It the metal tang caused the crack, It is entirely possible that the other recoil bearing parts of the stock are cracked also.

madsenshooter
08-14-2013, 10:41
Rear stock bushing? In a Krag? Never seen one, enlighten me.

dave
08-14-2013, 04:55
That is why I said to 'use one', Krags do not have them but I'm sure Mauser, '03 and Krag bolts are all the same, 1/4" dia. I have not had an '03 apart in years so not sure they do. At the very least, relieve the tang from the wood, (a small space between) as '03's are.

madsenshooter
08-14-2013, 08:08
Oh, I see, but you'd be talking about adding something to a collector piece and something that wouldn't be legal should you decide to shoot in "as issued" matches. The slight fitting of the tang would be ok though, leave the magazine box to bear the back thrust. If I was going to do it, it would be very slow work. The receiver is a bit of a wedge. Although I recommend tight action screws, overdoing it can also contribute to cracks like this.

Rick B
08-16-2013, 05:39
So you feel a collectors stock holds more value cracked apart over being repaired and putting in a sleeve to help aid it from cracking again? I find that silly. If it is a collectors piece dont shoot it. If you are going to shoot it have it repaired correctly so it will last for many more years. Rick B

madsenshooter
08-16-2013, 09:51
A little dab of epoxy forced in with your finger or a syringe will suffice, no need to put anything else in the stock, and no need to pay someone to do something that simple. Even Elmer's wood glue would be ok and after dry would give you a reference to see if the crack grows any. Don't use Gorilla Glue, it expands as it dries.

stiff
08-17-2013, 11:22
Thank you to all for your replies,advice,and opinions-I really appreciate them! I do believe at this time I will take Madsenshooter's advice and glue or epoxy the crack. While I am well versed in the use of Elmer's Wood glue,is epoxy a better choice in this regard? Any preferred type of Epoxy?

madsenshooter
08-17-2013, 11:52
I've used Acra Glas Gel, simply because that's what I had around, anything that drys translucent to clear ought to work.

RickM
08-20-2013, 06:44
easy repair would be take a syringe with wood glue force it into the crack then take a small drill bit size of a toothpick and drill one or two holes crosswise tamp a piece of toothpick into the holes aftdr coating the sides with wood glue to give you some reinforcement across both sides it will also keep the crack from spreading this has worked well for me on several stocks in the past and is very easy to make, it match the stock in appearance

Bob S
08-20-2013, 07:44
Accra Glass. Not the Gel, the runny stuff in the red box. It will seep into the crack, and you can dye it to match the walnut. My first Krag, procured nearly 50 years ago, was cracked through the wrist when I bought it. Some of the soupy Accra Glass poured into the butt trap took care of that. For several years after, whenever I had Accra Glass left over from another project, I opened the butt trap door and poured it in. That rifle is still my No. 1 shooter, and the repaired crack is as solid as a rock.

Resp'y,
Bob S.