PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1922 A /B what are the differences

ZinClepto
08-11-2013, 09:11
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone could describe the difference between an A, B, or no designation at the end of the serial number on these rifles?
Also does anyone know of a good reference guide describing the many historical differences between these?

mannparks
08-12-2013, 06:04
Zin,this is the way I understand the A/B ,from Brophys 03 Springfield book.
When The m1922 was modified to a m2 , A was added to the ser#.
When a m1922m1 was modified to a m2, then B was added.

Herschel will come. An explain.

Charles

Herschel
08-12-2013, 01:02
Mannparks is correct. He didn't mention the models without a suffix. These rifles came from Springfield Armory without a suffix to the model number. Generally when one was modified with a bolt upgrade the suffix was added. I have seen some upgraded rifles that had bolts numbered to the receiver that appeared to be arsenal or SA work but didn't have the A or B suffix. I have no explanation for them.

I have found the book The Springfield 1903 Rifles by Brophy to have the most useful information on the 1922 Series Gallery Practice Rifles. He has a few errors but the worst problem with the book that it is not arranged to be user friendly. I have literally worn out one copy of the book and still have trouble finding what I am looking for in it.

mannparks
08-12-2013, 01:47
Yes I can agree with you in Brophys 03 book I have to read a pertcular piece a few times be for it sinks in.
Herschel, thanks

Charles

Kragrifle
08-13-2013, 05:39
I have also seen and own a few rifles with M2 bolts numbered to the rifle that do not have the letters or extra I added to the receiver. One explanation that Fred Ewallt espoused was that the conversion started around 1934 and initially no alteration to the receiver was made. These rifles should have the early M2 bolt.