PDA

View Full Version : Help with my Low Serial # 1922 (108) - Seems unique from my reading

ZinClepto
08-07-2013, 02:00
To all the Springfield 1922 experts out there... I have a new to me 1922 that has some unique charactaristics. First of all, its serial # is 108, and it came with 2 Barrel's, the first Barrel (not currently installed is dated 5-22 and is in Pretty good shape with probably 85% blueing maybe 90%. The replacement barrel is NOT dated, and appears to be blued perfectly still. THe rifle is in EXCELLENT conditiopn. It does have an M2 receiver and bolt, which lead me to believe that it was a Springfield converted M2 and the Barrel was likely replaced at the same time as the m2 upgrade? One item thats quite different from what I can tell is that the stock does not have the groove in the handguard (pretty common I understand), however it has NO markings on the stock WHATSOEVER. They are not warn off, its NOT a counterfeit or aftermarket, its clearly a EXCELLENT condition original, but has no markings? Has anyone heard of this? I was wondering perhaps if the very low serial #'s perhaps didnt have markings on the stock?
The Scope is in excelent codition and is period correct. I will take pictures and post them shortly. It seems somewhat likely that I may have a very desirable version of this rifle, am I correct in my assumption from what I am describing? Ohh yeah, the serial # 108 does have the A stamp after it.
Is this considered one of the 200 or so "original" 1922's, or is this not one of those? Please assst, pictures coming soon for better insight. any close up shots in particular that I should take?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH in advance of your assistance.

Jeff L
08-07-2013, 02:20
Herschel is our resident expert for 1922s.

Herschel
08-07-2013, 08:31
ZinClepto, You are correct in assuming the 5-22 dated barrel is the original. I am puzzled by the undated barrel. I suspect it is aftermarket or has been shortened to below the bbl date. The 1922 models came without grasping grooves (might have been a few exceptions) in the fore end. The stocks came from SA without cartouches. The cartouches that internet sellers proudly point out as "correct" are rebuild cartouches. The A suffix to the sn indicates the rifle was upgraded to M2 with the M2 bolt and magazine. I don't think you meant to say M2 receiver. Arsenal or armory installed M2 bolts will have the serial number of the rifle etched on them. All the A suffix 1922 models I have seen were in the M2 stock.

A photo taken from above looking down into the receiver with the bolt back would be helpful.. Also a picture of the bottom of the bolt showing the hand etched serial number would help. The original rear sight would have had one minute clicks. A closeup of the elevation know would be helpful.

I don't understand what you mean by original 200 1922 Models. There were approx 2,020 1922 models made. I own number 18 and number 1929. Until recently I owned 1922 number 407. All three have the same type stock.

Very few of these were drilled and tapped for scope blocks at SA. I would suspect aftrermarket drillling and tapping for scope blocks. The A suffix 1922 models are pretty uncommon. One with the original bolt would be more valuable. If you will post or email me some pics I can give a more valid evaluation.

ZinClepto
08-08-2013, 11:56
http://s12.postimg.org/u6px7ycdl/IMG_20130808_231437_494.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/u6px7ycdl/)

Herschel
08-09-2013, 03:11
ZinClepto, Check your private messages.

It is very uncommon for t he Springfield .22's to come with two barrels. The fact that yours has the extra barrel indicates to me that the second barrel was not an arsenal replacement. That is just my opinion. I have never heard of an arsenal sending an original barrel back to the organization/unit that sent a rifle in for a barrel replacement. I have responded on the other thread to your questions about your 1922.

Kragrifle
08-09-2013, 11:42
These rifles do not have handguards so a photo would be essential. As for stocks on the 1922 Springfields, remember that a few were made with grasping grooves and maybe one or two were checkered at Springfield.

ZinClepto
08-09-2013, 08:17
I have attached some pictures to hopefully give you a better idea of the rifle that is the newest member of my collection. Thanks for answering the questions, even with the limited and confusing info I provided earlier.
I have several clarifications:
1) The Barrel that was replaced (likely upon the upgrade to m2) does in fact have a date stamp on it. I took pics for you to see. The original Barrel was made in 5-22 and the replacement was stamped 5-37

2) When I asked about the original 200, that was a typo. You correctly assumed I was referring to the original 2020 that were made. What I am trying to understand is if my rifle is considered one of the original 2020 since it was originally made as a 1922 and converted to an M2, or am I understanding that wrong?

3) Is it common to have both the original barrel, and the replacement barrel from when the rifle was upgraded? Does this provide and collectible value?

4) Do other Rifles exist without any markings on the stock?

Sorry that these pics arent very clear. I am going to need to retake pics with a better camera and repost later. Hopefully this is enough for you folks to help me understand exactly what I have and what type of value it may have.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/krhule1/slideshow/