PDA

View Full Version : Huh? A norinco for this money?

SPEEDGUNNER
08-06-2013, 05:38
I couldn't believe my eyes...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=357551749

GB Auction #357551749

Weasel
08-06-2013, 11:01
They way they are bidding on that mine should be worth $1200.00. His idea of mint and mine are a little different.

westgard
08-07-2013, 04:33
I had a little chuckle when I saw the 'in as new condition' remark.....

Nick Riviezzo
08-07-2013, 09:21
I waited too long to buy a couple of these[to stash in different places]. Thought I would see what the consensus was after the became available. When I went to buy I found out they were banned from import. I guess they are in demand but I never would have believed that kind of money! Nick

SPEEDGUNNER
08-07-2013, 10:19
I remember handling a few of these when they were first available, like many of us I thought they might make a nice "stash" gun - but I was very disappointed with the fit and the finish. Crappy machine work, lousy blue job, and the action was a little sloppy and rough. Who would have ever thought they would escalate in value to this degree??

BudT
08-07-2013, 05:15
I was told by a couple of guys that shoot Cowboy Action stuff with a Norinco that they dont hold up as well as the real deal.

John L. Lucci
08-12-2013, 10:06
I was told by a couple of guys that shoot Cowboy Action stuff with a Norinco that they dont hold up as well as the real deal.

Damned hard to get the red Chinese to honor warranty..:icon_rolleyes::evil6:

bigskybound
08-13-2013, 10:28
I have used an original cut down 97 with great effect. Cost me about $250. I refinished it and put a trench gun handguard on it. For CAS, I take the handguard off!

6thMARDIV
08-13-2013, 06:06
The WW2 reenactor's are driving the prices up. Is a current fad to have one.

Griff Murphey
08-14-2013, 08:08
I have the civilian and the trench versions. The Trench is a good piece. I have used it in three gun - hunted turkey with it successfully - smooth and reliable. Wood is nice.

The civilian version is a different story. The buttstock has cracked... I think it is some kind of weird compressed wood and resin thing? Anyway, very rough action and unreliable on the civvy one. I understand they can be reworked - they need it.

I am told the two types of "Chinchesters" were made by different factories in China. Makes sense as they certainly are different.

emmagee1917
08-15-2013, 09:23
The trench guns were made in China under contract from a person in the USA . He supplied the wood for the stocks and set down standards for the work that had to be met. We have a couple down here and I own one . They were gone through when bought and the actions smoothed a bit more and some small burrs and such cleaned up. They have both functioned very well over the last several years and compare well with my refinished Winchester . The only "problem" we had was my friend decided he'd shoot his with a bayonet attached and the heatshield jumped out of the bbl. notches and slid forward. There is a night and day difference between these trench guns and the other copies.
Chris

gwp
08-15-2013, 09:56
Here is information about the quality of Chinese 1897 shotguns as used in Cowboy Action Shooting.

http://www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted05.html

The Chinese ‘97s

‘97s have been imported under more than one brand name. Early Norincos were pretty terrible. They were improved mightily after Coyote Cap made several trips to China to get the production down right. The importer changed to Interstate Arms. The year of production was important. Serial numbers started with the year, 04 being the earliest of the guns that were "right." 05 and 06 prefix guns were good.

Current Chinese '97s
You might find guns with "IAC" listed as manufacturer. They have recently started importing guns again. These seem to be okay.
TTN imported a lot of guns that should not have been sold, with parts that just did not fit. Many gunsmiths will not work on a TTN as a result.

Polytech '97s
The gestation and name changes have gotten confusing. TTN became Polytech. Cimarron imports Polytech '97s. I talked with Robert at Cimarron, and he said out of 700, 50 came back for repairs.

emmagee1917
08-16-2013, 10:20
Mine is an IAC gun . Serial # MIL96XX. It is a good one.
Chris

Dave in NGA
08-17-2013, 12:21
I also have a IAC example. It looks like it was a salesman's sample gun it has such nice looking wood on it.

The early examples I saw looked like the stocks were made from cross ties. Somewhere in the production cycle they really stepped up their QA program. Maybe the Chinese got themselves a new set of 'motivated' slave laborers?

Cecil
08-18-2013, 06:07
The shot gun hasn't gone up in value. Somebody just went down in brain cells. He ever tries to recoup that purchase price and he will be in for big surprise.

scosgt
08-18-2013, 02:02
I have two of them. BOTH are marked "Norinco 97" and serials are MIL73XX and MIL74XX.
They both have very nice stocks. I have not shot them and do not intend to do. Bought them to put away, figured some day 50 years from now they might be worth something, since originals are so scarce and expensive.
Always hoped that Winchester would bring out a "replica" Trench Gun, but I suppose they would be way to expensive to produce here. I think I paid around $325 each for my guns.