PDA

View Full Version : 96 carbine, posted below---

dave
08-05-2013, 02:17
Took it apart, every thing was varnish tight, and its all over the metal. Now inth stock lightening cuts I found the following, 1902 CHAS. H THROP BIG RAPIDS MICH Now I have read of instances where troops were given the choice to purchase their issue carbine on discharge (not the revolver, in one case).
Looks like I have some research to do, I may just keep this sucker after all!
Any suggestions on how to researh this guy, other then just Google?

Dick Hosmer
08-05-2013, 03:15
I'd try the LDS website - they don't only list Mormons. Or, ancestry.com, etc.

Dick Hosmer
08-05-2013, 03:23
Charles H. Throp - born Illinois, 1872, Father: Samuel, Mother: Clara (Hills), was in the insurance business, died 3-22-1913, in Big Rapids MI. Would have been 30 when marked gun.

dave
08-06-2013, 05:02
Well I,ll be! Thanks for that. No military connection then, but I wonder how he got the rifle. Were they being sold by the Gov. that early? Hmmm.

Dick Hosmer
08-06-2013, 06:28
You're welcome. Didn't say there was no military connection (though I did not see any such - but then, I wouldn't have expected to, where I looked). Just jotted down what I found with a 45 second visit to the LDS "FamilySearch" website. Just wanted to illustrate a bit of what is out there, if you dig a little. FWIW, I do not believe they were being sold off to the general public in 1902 - there has to be more to the story. Obviously, he died young (41). Why?

jon_norstog
08-06-2013, 06:44
Big Rapids is in the lower peninsula a long day's ride north of Grand Rapids. In those days it would have been in the heart of the second growth mess left after the Michigan white pine forest was clearcut. I can imagine it was chock full of deer, with all that forage, all that cover and most of the people gone. Great time and place to have one of those new Krags.

jn

dave
08-06-2013, 08:48
I am, digging further, looking for an obit. Several places in Big Rapids, history sociaties, news papers. Making a list of phone numbers for now.

5MadFarmers
08-06-2013, 10:34
. Obviously, he died young (41). Why?

Cause of death is listed.

http://cdm16317.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p129401coll7/id/748233

CJCulpeper
08-06-2013, 10:51
I did a search for "thro" and found these two gentlemen. I guess your guy did not go to war.

http://www.mifamilyhistory.org/spanam/sawveterans.aspx

Surname Given Rank Place County Unit
THROOP John D. Private St. Louis Gratiot 35th Michigan Volunteers Company Unassigned
THROOP William E. Corporal Adrian Lenawee 35th Michigan Volunteers Company D

Dick Hosmer
08-06-2013, 11:38
Cause of death is listed.

http://cdm16317.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p129401coll7/id/748233

Hey, I only went so far! I'm sure you can provide his second-grade report card, and favorite food! Get back to the book! [BIG GRIN]

5MadFarmers
08-06-2013, 02:37
I did a search for "thro" and found these two gentlemen.
THROOP John D. Private St. Louis Gratiot 35th Michigan Volunteers Company Unassigned
THROOP William E. Corporal Adrian Lenawee 35th Michigan Volunteers Company D

No, no, no. Not Throop as I'd be interested. My grandfather's grandmother was a Throop. Third Throop, Thexas Cavalry. Ok, not that kind of Throop. She was a Throop though. Her daddy was, thus, also a Throop. A Cavalry Throoper even:

http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-soldiers-detail.htm?soldier_id=4e3c62d9-dc7a-df11-bf36-b8ac6f5d926a

Hey, I only went so far! I'm sure you can provide his second-grade report card, and favorite food! Get back to the book! [BIG GRIN]

Um, it's kind of, well, um, done. The writing and data parts anyway. 156 pages. Took two weeks? About that. The next year is pictures. Tedious work but not difficult. I have to have some parts made to assemble some guns. That's the time suck ahead. So a year from today it'll be printed and ready. Exactly one year from today. You can mark your calendars. If the guns I'm making aren't ready I'll skip them.

habu1
08-08-2013, 02:27
Pictures please so I can compare with my 1895/96 carbine. I am most interested in the stock cartouches and over all wear/patina. Thanks much.