PDA

View Full Version : 1917s being bulit..

chuckindenver
08-05-2013, 08:15
kinda puts some of the myths to rest, i beleive this in the Winchester plant
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675063739_ordnance-material_browning-machine-guns_workers-work-on-machinery_guns-assembled

rifles4me
08-10-2013, 01:13
wow, awesome!

dave
08-10-2013, 01:41
what myths are put to rest here?

Ltdave
08-10-2013, 02:09
what myths are put to rest here?

what he said? ive never heard any myths about the '17...

fguffey
08-10-2013, 08:37
again...checking headspace on a 1917 or P14..is felt resistance of the tool..17,s cock on close and have a lot of camming pressure, so much that they can wear the locking lug weighs out, i have seen a few 17,s with this issue, and have posted pictures on how to tell.
you can see this when the barrel is removed, and only at this time.
look in the face of the receiver, and you will see were the locking lugs of the bolt have been wearing on the face of the weighs, if you can feel a step with a screwdriver or finger nail...its toast.. you might be able to fix it temporary, but it will wear again, sooner or later you will have a case head failure.
1917,s are 3.5% nickle steel and only surface hardened, they are strong but very soft as compared to other bolt action rifles.
every 17 that iv worked on that was said to have failed a no go..passed when i checked it..
do a test fire with a factory round...{not GI ball} Remington, Winchester or Federal factory 30-06..and look close at the fired case. chances are its fine,
Go is to check a new short chambered barrel, and usually finished till it closes on a Go..No Go is used as the rifle has been shot, to check normal wear, Field Reject is just that if it fails that tool., then its time to look to see why..
checking the headspace on a cock on open rifle isnt the same as cock on close.
================================================== =======

"checking headspace on a 1917 or P14..is felt resistance of the tool.." Then there is the development time required to develop the feel of resistance to the resistance of the tool.

I said I can check the length of the chamber on a M1917 with a 280 Remington case. I said I could check the length of the chamber on a M1917 with a field reject gage 'IF' the chamber was shorter than the field reject chamber, and I said I had a M1917 Eddystone with a filed reject length chamber +.002", the bolt is not set back, the lugs are not worn, the receiver seating surface is not worn.

And I have clearance between the rear of the bolt handle and receiver, the rifle also has clearance between the front of the boot handle and receiver.

All of that without felt resistance. The big crammer, never a word about the advance of the bolt with 90 degree rotation , never a word about bolt advance for 90 degree rotation.

Myth? like gages, gages are not made on Mars, people make gages.

F. Guffey

chuckindenver
08-11-2013, 07:55
the Myths ..
that barrels were installed with a hydraulic tool, or machine...not the case..
that they cracked do to this...not the case.
that they hand cut each chamber with a T handle or pull through.. not the case..
never said squat about headpacing or how its to be done being a myth, only how its to be done [CORRECTLY],
and likely the reason for over sized chamber is do to the type of tool you see being used to cut them..not much care was takin when cutting the chamber in that video.
another myth..not just 17s was a bent barrel was trashed.. and that it takes special presses and tools to fix one,,yes it does...a hammer.
if you page up a couple more videos they show how the 1917 barrels were made from start to finish.
i like how they check for straightness...eye ball it..beat it with a hammer, fine tune it will a wheel...

dryheat
09-11-2013, 11:22
I have three M17's. Wish I knew what this thread was about.

chuckindenver
09-12-2013, 06:32
yea, it got a little sideways...if you click on the link. is shows old film footage of 1917s being built at Winchester...
some of the Myths i was talking about...are
1. 1917s had the barrels installed by machine.
2. that receivers were cracked from this.
3. that all the chamberes were cut by hand and with a pull through reamer.
all 3 are false. as you can see by this, and other short films iv posted links to..
another Myth.
that bayonets were not sharpedend...
in one of the short films...you see a long line of workers sharpening bayonets on a grinding wheel.
some great footage of rifles being built , iv found all sorts of cool shorts on that site...you can spend hours looking through it..

p246
09-12-2013, 09:02
It was my understanding only Eddystone used a machine to barrel the receiver. I heard that on the internet so it must be true:-). Thanks for posting link Chuck I spent a lot of time surfing around it.

chuckindenver
09-13-2013, 07:48
the only machine used....whas a human machine...with simple hand tools.

jjrothWA
10-04-2013, 09:09
One myth is that Eddystone used air-powered equipment for torguing actions and barrel together.

As far as headspace you take the cocking piece/ firing pin assembly out of the bolt and remove the extractor for using the headspace gauge, eliminating the camming effect on the
bolt.

Kurt
10-06-2013, 06:53
To check headspace I use the postal method....If it fits, it ships.

Kurt

wsfbernie
10-22-2013, 07:02
That is really cool footage. I remember working in the old plants during the seventies, just before we started "exporting" our machine
capabilities. Heck, some of that equipment is even familiar! Thanks for sharing that one, Chuck. Resurrects a lot of old memories.