PDA

View Full Version : What has been your experience

JohnMOhio
08-04-2013, 09:52
using Militec-1 on your AR 15? I know that this company donated their product and sent it to our men that served in the both sand boxes. I thought that I might try it on my new AR.

Thanks for all replies.
John

JohnMOhio
09-17-2013, 08:05
Well, I ordered a small supply and will let you guys know how well it works. I am surprised that no one here has used this product.

John

P. Greaney
09-17-2013, 09:29
They not only donated quite a bit of their product, it is also a carried item in the DOD supply system.
I used it on my issue M9 and M16A3.
The M9 was well worn and the difference after treating the weapon and subsequent applications produced a noticeable improvement in the smoothness of the slide to frame fit and function.
The M16A3 was new and even after repeated applications the "grittiness did not disappear. I did not have occasion to put more than a couple hundred rounds through the M16A3.
I use the product on my personally owned firearms to include my carry handguns and my competition AR15. I am very satisfied with the product and will continue to use it even when my current "free" supply runs out and I have to replace it with the same stuff only difference is that I will be purchasing it.
So, I recommend it.

JohnMOhio
09-18-2013, 08:52
Thanks for a reply Greaney. Most helpful. I have been using it on two handguns and so far so good as they say. Easy to clean. I use the Otis system for both handguns and rifles. I think it is great. This will be my first venture with an AR. Finally went over to the Dark Side as some say. Bought a Rock River A4 National Match.

When you mention "grittiness," would you care to elaborate. Are you talking the exterior of the firearm or the internal working parts, bolt etc. Using Militec-1, did you have the opportunity to use their grease?

I sent in an order here the other day, they had a decent sale, will give one kit to the grandson for his AR. Might as well get him started on the right track early.

Thanks
John

P. Greaney
09-19-2013, 05:21
I have not used the grease.
The M16A3 was as new from rebuild or the factory. It did not feel smooth, as though the finish needed to wear off bearing parts.
My match grade and service grade AR15 rifles have plenty of rounds through them and they both feel smooth when the action is cycled.

Col. Colt
09-21-2013, 08:36
The important thing, regardless of the lube you use, is to run the AR Series WET! Pat Rogers, who has trained thousands of police, military and civilians on the AR platform, when asked for a preferance, did not give one - he just said "the thing will probably run fine on Vagisil" and advised to lube it, period. I don't know the magic properties of this particular lube, but I look for a lube that is a modern synthetic, that also embeds itself into the metal, so if it is "wiped off" it is still there, providing lube and protection from corrosion. Being from the North Country, I require something that works down in the -0 range, as well.

I know the old PTFE "Tetra" brand did this, but have switched to the more modern "Mpro7/Hoppes Elite" (same stuff) branded CLP style product - it is a green colored thin film lubricant and penetrates and stays in place. Mpro7 is the ONLY lube specifed by Boeing Aerospace for the 25MM and larger Chain gun, and improved the operation of the Miniguns on the C-130 Spectre Gunships dramatically at cold temperatures and high altitude over the standard military lube. Should be good enough for an M4. CC

BlitzKrieg
09-21-2013, 01:26
Contrary to all expertise , I use Militec grease on all my semi auto pistols and its superior to any
liquid Militec or CLP lube. Now that is for target work at 800 rds a week. For duty purposes Militec
or CLP wet liquid is what I would not fail to use. Others have said its trustworthy stuff and it is.

TomSudz
09-30-2013, 11:55
I used it on my M240 as well as my my "musket" (M16a4) in Iraq and the stuff is great. When we came home, I kept a bottle for myself and gave the rest to the unit replacing us. Haven't used the grease, but the oil is good.

JohnMOhio
11-19-2013, 10:00
Thanks to all for the information.

John

davpet
11-28-2013, 05:57
All, i've used nothing but the Militec-1 grease and liquid for the last 8 or 9 years...started with a free offer from them and a little tub of grease and a small liquid, and now I bought the grease gun sized can/tube...and 4 bottles of the liquid at a gunshow....use it on M1911's , AR's and Norinco M14s'....little goes a long way.

p246
11-29-2013, 10:50
I've had good luck with M Pro 7, Miltec 1, and Slip2000,s synthetic oil. I pick up whichever one I can find at the time. I will add that we run our Glocks dry and or AR-15s wet. I don't think u will be dissapointed with any of them.

PhillipM
11-30-2013, 01:34
I've seen one of the local class 3 guys hose down his guns, including m16's with plain old remington oil. His take on it was like Col Colt said, "Run 'em wet."

p246
11-30-2013, 08:42
We tried Rem Oil and found it burned off the bolt area much faster than other above mentioned oils and things dried out then stopped running. Issue much worse in M16's than AR 15's but we could duplicate the issues at higher round count in the AR platform. When I attended advanced armory school put on by CY6 the instructor mirrored our findings.

Now in saying this the AR platform got dry around the 4 to 500 round count. A higher round count than a competitor probably shoots before cleaning and relubing.

The M 16's which are full squirt capable would dry out with Rem Oil in three to four mag dumps. Under more normal two to three round bursts it would run dry around 300 rds.

Under normal low round count shooting after a bath in Rem Oil will suffic. If your looking for a survival scenario or high round count shooting session Rem Oil will have to be reapplied for the rifle to continue to operate every time

Col. Colt
12-01-2013, 09:30
Rem Oil is, I believe, aimed at the average hobbiest/hunter - not so much for military hard use, high round count. I would not expect it to hang in there with a modern, purpose designed synthetic "machine gun lube" when subjected to high heat and fouling.

The specs on the Mpro 7 product line, combined with it's usage on some pretty high speed, heavy duty US Miltary Hardware with great success (and visible improvement over GI issue lubes) that only run full auto, convinced me - and it is in the .mil supply system with a Federal Stock Number. It also helped make my decision that it is completely non-toxic - I like my liver as it is!

Make sure you get the older Mpro 7 CLP or the newer LPX labeled stuff - the bottles labeled only "Gun Oil" are, again, a hunter/hobbiest product, probably better than Rem Oil, but not military grade. Hoppe's buy's the same stuff from the manufacturer and rebrands it as it's "Hoppe's Elite" gun lubricant/cleaner line. It was superior enough to their products that they just added it to their lineup rather than try to duplicate it. CC

PhillipM
12-01-2013, 10:19
True about the Rem oil, his purposes were for range toys, not shtf scenarios. He'd dump a couple mags then let it cool off, apply more oil and shoot some more.

JohnMOhio
12-06-2013, 10:29
Thanks again to all who posted.

John

davpet
12-10-2013, 04:38
Anyone try Marvel Mystery oil as a gun lube? I've used it as a lube on hair clippers etc...and am wondering if anyone ever used it as a gun lube.

Jim in Salt Lake
12-11-2013, 07:33
That stuff gets pretty gummy, I wouldn't use it on mine. There are so many better lubricants now days.