PDA

View Full Version : Interesting A1 at LGS Today

Mike D
08-04-2013, 06:15
Went to the local gun show today and the only thing that caught my eye was an A1.

Pre-war C-stock with drawing #, RA-P stamped, stock bolts had a little #, too, 4-38 SA barrel, Hatcher hole, J5 swept handle bolt, CV marked cocking piece with drawing #, RIA sight leaf.

Serial # 1299607. Little "o" stamped under the serial indicating a RIA receiver.

Could all this be an "original" A1 assembled from mixed parts prior to WWII?

Were RIA marked receivers used to assemble any A1's?

Mike

Randy A
08-04-2013, 06:36
Aren't there too many digits in your S/N for it to be RIA?

Roadkingtrax
08-04-2013, 06:43

RIA had receiver double heat-treat blanks that SA serialized.

Mike D
08-04-2013, 06:45

It's one of those 25,000 or so sent to SA by RIA in 1926. Info from JB in Ferris' book on the RIA '03.

Mike

John Beard
08-04-2013, 10:00
Went to the local gun show today and the only thing that caught my eye was an A1.

Pre-war C-stock with drawing #, RA-P stamped, stock bolts had a little #, too, 4-38 SA barrel, Hatcher hole, J5 swept handle bolt, CV marked cocking piece with drawing #, RIA sight leaf.

Serial # 1299607. Little "o" stamped under the serial indicating a RIA receiver.

Could all this be an "original" A1 assembled from mixed parts prior to WWII?

Were RIA marked receivers used to assemble any A1's?

Mike

The rifle could indeed be an original A1 assembled from mixed parts prior to WWII. The receiver, however, was serialized at Springfield Armory in 1928 and was undoubtedly fitted with a current production barrel at that time. The receiver, therefore, was taken from an earlier rifle that was turned in for overhaul and was re-barreled with a new 1938 barrel and re-stocked with a new Type C stock.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Randy A
08-05-2013, 11:04
Ok, that answers what I was getting at. I knew they sent them to SA but for some reason I thought the RIA receivers had been serialized by RIA,,, apparently not all of them.