PDA

View Full Version : 1895 dated 96 carbine--

dave
08-03-2013, 04:05
just picked up to-day. Obviously a hunters rifle for many years, some repairs made, stock heavely worn, maybe sanded. Decorater tacks in butt, indian style. Barrel band trash, swivel welded on bottom, onescrew eyelet on rear, No sign of any markings. Walnut inletted into the sling base, very neat job! 3 rod holes in trap.
#1. Barrel seems to be carbine, bore pitted some but lots of rifling. Some lite pitting on outside, blue thin. Butt plate in very good bright condition with blue trap. Brass blade soldered in original base, front site.
#2 Action, the usual mottled blue/silver. Cutoff missing, Trigger gaurd has a 'hit' on one bow edge , kind of folder metal over on inside, no finish.
#3 bolt is rather odd, must be early. Has no hold open pin (reciever has the 'cut') and the rear where the safety rides up has 6 grooves, look like threads but no pitch.
#4 You ask why did I buy this crappy gun? Two reasons, the bolt (altho I'm not sure about it) and it has a ge-u-wine 96 carbine rear sight! 2000 yrds with c and base with c both in correct place, Looks like it's been on the gun forever, little finish but no rust. This is the second "hunter" 96 c I've picked up with a carbine sight.

I purchased to part it out as stocks are impossible to find. What kind of value do you think I have here. Any one interested?
Serial numberis 28419, for those who collect such info.

m1903rifle
08-03-2013, 07:06
Serial number is very close to some 1st USV Cavalry carbines listed in Springfield Research Service list, but , of course "close" only counts in horse shoes.

madsenshooter
08-03-2013, 08:58
The 96 carbine sights bring a pretty good price, upwards of $500, if really correct and not one of a few forgeries that have been done.

dave
08-04-2013, 07:53
Not a forgery, positive about that.

madsenshooter
08-04-2013, 07:57
Good luck with it then, afraid I don't need one.

Dick Hosmer
08-04-2013, 08:43
I'd guess, ultimately distributed out to the right people, that you probably have somewhere around $1000 worth of parts there, especially if your (apparently M1892, and NOT original to the carbine) bolt has the square cocking piece.

There are more then a few collector-grade M1896 carbines out there with rifle sights as "fillers".

dave
08-04-2013, 12:47
Square cocking piece? Please explain, the 'knob' looks like any other. The extractor is attached with a screw rather then a pin, by the way.

Dick Hosmer
08-04-2013, 03:30
It's not the knob, but the extension that goes down to engage the sear. Pull the knob back - does the lower arm go STRAIGHT down, or is it slanted sharply forward?

It is normal for the "no hold-open pin" extractor to be held with a screw, and have the ringed sleeve.

If you have an early bolt body, the safety lug will be almost solid for its' entire length, instead of severely milled along top edge.

dave
08-05-2013, 05:19
Yes, saftey lug straight and square, and cocking piece straight/square/ with one 'step' in it. So what is the bolt worth, seems correct for a 1892?

Dick Hosmer
08-05-2013, 07:56
Whatever you can get for it. I believe that Joe DeChristopher was once asking $250, just for the square cocking piece. 1892 bolt bodies are not that uncommon, but some of the early bits are getting hard to find. Of course, the other side of the coin is that demand is limited - really - how many people are restoring 1892s?

Since the arm sounds pretty ugly, I'm guessing you got it for next to nothing. Just sort the wheat from the chaff, and put the former on Gunbroker - start high, and lower your prices until the items sell.

CJCulpeper
08-05-2013, 08:06
I'd be willing to buy it right now if price was not up in the rafters. I have two 1894s that could use it.

Culpeper

madsenshooter
08-05-2013, 08:12
That's the way to find what it's worth to someone. By giving values, we could be stepping on the toes of someone from this board who is trying to contact you concerning the parts. I will say this, I was offered a couple hundred dollars for the bolt body alone of one I have that has the uncut guide rib. That is until the fellow offering it found out the bolt was parkerized.