PDA

View Full Version : My first trapdoor

wrench
07-29-2013, 01:58
I traded into this 1884 trapdoor a couple of weeks ago for a good price. It's not pristine by any means, but it's complete, and the bore is great. My learning curve has been steep since then finding out details about it.
The 'P' cartouche under the stock is quite good, the one on the left side is unreadable.
Breechblock is dated 1873, so likely a replacement?
One question, the rear sight has maybe 0.030" of side to side play. Is there anything I can do to tighten that up, or is it just worn out.
Any other info is very welcome, thanks in advance.

wrench
07-29-2013, 02:00
A few more pics

psteinmayer
07-29-2013, 06:57
Nice looking Rifle... Congrats!

Rick B
07-30-2013, 06:45
Very nice. Rick B

SMOKEY
07-30-2013, 10:30
Aint never seen an ugly one. Beat up ones just have character

M2Phil
07-31-2013, 06:30
This rifle looks great. As far as the side-to-side play, are the mounting screws on tight? If not that, the windage screw, or, less likely, the teeth on the moveable base might be worn out.

wrench
07-31-2013, 09:08
Thanks for the replies, this thing is a bit outside my normal collecting area, I'm telling myself I'm just expanding my US rifle collection.
The rear sight is screwed down tightly, play is in the screw or base?? I haven't tried to take it apart yet to find out.
Got my bullet mold today, dies and brass are here, just need a couple more small items and I'll be able to get it to the range. I can't wait to try it out!

Dollar Bill
08-01-2013, 03:23
What powder are you using, BP, a substitute or something like 5744?

wrench
08-01-2013, 06:21
Was planning on smokeless....I've had recommendations of SR4759 and Unique so far, also 5744 but I don't have any of that. I load lots of reduced smokeless loads in other calibers, so have experience with that process.
I've never used or shot blackpowder, will save that for another time, I think :)

11mm
08-01-2013, 07:03
SR4759 works very well, as does IMR4895. based upon personal experience. Use of a dacron wad to keep the powder against the primer seems useful , as well. I find that the same (22.5 grain SR4759) load which works well in 45/70 also seems to make my 11mm Mauser, 43 Spanish and 11mm Gras shoot pretty well too. SR4759 also is recommended by at least one other regular on this forum. All the foregoing applies to the use of a correct lead bullet.

mannparks
08-02-2013, 11:19
Wrench, welcomed to the trap door Springfield world.looks like a fine rifle.
The sight is no doubt warn, and not that unusual.
I have in the past once I know where the sight setting are I use a piece of tissue paper or what ever thickness will work,and slide it under the rear tong&gruve. That will bind the sight and keep it from moving.
Now the contrsvirsal issue, the 1873 springfield rifle was built to use black powder
That's what I would recommend using.
You can't get into an over loading issue with black..load all the black you can fit plus a wad under the bullet, no air space.
Now about the bullet,most (original) trap door rifles have a rather large bore(.459--.460).
Soo a bullet of store bought type may not give the best of accuracy. you need to slug the bore of the rifle to see what your needs.
I could go on and on,but go slow take time be safe.
Here is the web sight for trap doors
trapdoor collector. com
Charles

wrench
08-02-2013, 07:20
I really appreciate the feedback from all of you guys. I cast some bullets today with my new Lee 459-405HB mold, they dropped from the mold at .462-.463", cast from 30:1 alloy. I'll slug the bore tomorrow and see what I need there.
mannparks, the idea of shooting this with blackpowder is attractive, and I'm sure I'll try it in the future. At least for now, I will load a few with smokeless, just to get her shooting.
Thanks again,
Susan

John Sukey
08-02-2013, 11:38
I just love the clouds of smoke and the ability to stink out the guy on the next bench with black powder.
The rifle was DESIGNED for BP, so why use smokeless?????
Cleanup? A funnel in the arse end and a kettle full of hot water followed by a few patches isn't that difficult. AND it's impossible to load more black powder than the action can stand!
Make a small mistake with smokeless and you may never find the breechblock!

mannparks
08-03-2013, 05:50
John, its even Easter than that.
Buy your self a bottle of windex with Vinegar.wet a patch then a dry one.two or three times and your clean follow with a patch of your favorite oil or greese.
Done!!.

wrench
08-24-2013, 03:41
Ok, finally had time to cast some bullets, load some cartridges, and make it to the range. I only had the 50y range to work with, but I am encouraged for longer range success.
This is the Lee 459-405HB bullet, cast of 20:1, and 11mm's load of 22.5g of SR4759.
First shot is the low one, then there's the next four.
Thanks for all the help and encouragement, guys:icon_sunny:

sgabrie854
09-12-2013, 07:05
Black powder is the only way to go with this rifle. The results you are seeing at 50 yards are pretty much meaningless. Minimum load testing should really be done at 200, thats the general consensus with serious Trapdoor shooters, but its your goat.

Mark Daiute
09-13-2013, 12:12
I use 22.5 grains 4759, Lee HB 405 grain bullet. Shoots to the sights out to 200 yards. I don't use the dacron but maybe I should. I use BAC lube that I got froma fellow over on Cast Boolits.com

steved66
09-13-2013, 01:51
Nice shooting. I disagree with the comment that your results sat 50yds are "meaningless". 50ys, 200yds, the distance is irrelevant for "serious" trapdoor shooters. In my opinion, a serious trapdoor shooter is someone who takes the time to research the rifle and loads, cast lead bullets and handload to feed the trapdoor(s) in his collection. Wrench has clearly done that. Some guys don't have access to a 200yd range, other's have eyesight issues that make it difficult to shoot open sights at even 50yds. Exercising these old, retired warhorses is the most meaningful shooting.

wrench
09-13-2013, 07:37
I appreciate the continued discussion. I don't usually shoot at 50y, but the 100y range was closed, and I thought starting at 200y, with a rifle I'd never shot, in a caliber I'd never reloaded, with a new bullet, was packed with fail.
I will get out to the 100 tomorrow, and let you all know how it goes.

11mm
09-15-2013, 09:27
I use 22.5 grains 4759, Lee HB 405 grain bullet. Shoots to the sights out to 200 yards. I don't use the dacron but maybe I should. I use BAC lube that I got froma fellow over on Cast Boolits.com
Mark has the right load, in my experience. It works with the 405gr hollow base or flat base, and is good with the 500 grain (usually weighing less) SAECO and Lee bullets.
Cheap to shoot, too. I do use the dacron wad.

wrench
09-15-2013, 07:04
Only partial success at the 100y range, I'm afraid. The rear sight has enough slop in the windage, that I was getting 3-4" of change in impact at 100y. Also, as expected, it shoots really high-I suppose I will be fabricating a new front sight, and trying to tighten up the rear sight.
Back to the drawing board...