PDA

View Full Version : Henry lever gun, need help repairing

Tom
07-28-2013, 07:56
I have two Henrys 22 and 22mag. Thousands of rounds and no glitches except pilot error and bad ammo. I really recommend these lever guns.

My grandson either loaded a 22 bullet backwards (it can be done) or loaded a 22 mag (it also can be done if you work at it.) now the round is jammed in the outer (black) tube near the bottom. I need to get the outer tube off!

A gentleman from rimfire forum tried to explain how, but I think he was referring to a different mfg. or an older Henry. i don't see any pins in the tube holder/sight fixture and a couple other questions about "tapping" on the tube holder.

Anyone have experience at this. Thanks

kcw
07-29-2013, 06:55
What "series" or model do you have? The schematic for the H001 series (22lr, 22Mag & 17hr) shows two tapered pins going into the LEFT side of the RECIVER just below the receiver ring for the barrel. It looks as though they would engage appropriately spaced notches on the TOP edge of the tube. I would assume that the pins would be driven out from the RIGHT side of the receiver, and reinstalled from the LEFT. It may be that the fore stock needs to be removed to expose the pins?
In looking at the drawing, I wonder if those two pins lock in not only the mag tube but also possibly the barrel too via notches on the lower side of it? I would assume that the barrel is press fit, but it could also be pinned too. If those pins do in fact affix the mag tube, you'll likely also need to do a little "wiggling" to disengage the tube from the receiver after you remove the pins, as it's likely to be a tight fit. Note: I think I'd try to remove only the forward pin initially on the chance it may be that the forward one affixes the mag tube, and the rearward one the barrel? I say that because the "stem" of the mag tube appears shorter than the that of the barrel.

Tom
07-29-2013, 10:19
Thanks kcw. I have Hoo1 and Hoo1mag. I really didn't want to tear apart the rifle to get tube out, but apparently I need to. I'll try one call to Henry, which I dread (I don't know why).

These rifles work so good I hate to do anything except run a bore snake thru them. Tom