PDA

View Full Version : Sight Help With My New 1922

InTheWoods
07-23-2013, 03:16
The 48c sight on my new (to me) 1922 has LOTS of free windage movement of the aperture. The windage cap screws are loose and the aperture itself seems to have lots of 'wiggle' on the main windage screw itself (loose thread fit). I cannot, for the life of me, get the windage knob set screw loose to investigate further. I don't want to risk damaging the sight further by forcing things. I am also fearful the windage cap screws will loosen themselves to the point the whole assembly will fall out (?).

Does anyone repair these sights for a business or side business? I would be willing to pay for a job well done in an appropriate amount of time.

Dave in NGA
07-23-2013, 04:40
You need to wait for Herschel's response. There's nothing associated with the 1922 Springfield he doesn't know. I'm sure he'll have an answer for your problem.

Dan Shapiro
07-23-2013, 07:08
Had the same problem re: the main screw shaft on which the aperture travels. Had no problem taking the parts down, then saw that the main shaft is EXTREMELY worn through the center area when compared to either end (full left or right). Used small piece of Teflon tape in the worn area. Does not show at all when the aperture was put back on.

InTheWoods
07-23-2013, 07:46
I thought the same thing might work. Thank you for confirming that. Now, if I could just take that dang set screw out to tape the shaft and properly tighten the cap screws!

Herschel
07-23-2013, 07:50
About 10 years ago Nick Stroebel, the author of Old Gunsights, A Collector's Guide, 1850-1965, repaired Lyman 48 sights. He charged a flat rate plus shipping. He worked on a couple of sights for me and I was pleased with the result. I don't know if he still does this or if he is still living.

Soaking the windage knob in penetrating oil for a few days might help in removing it. After the soaking a few light taps on a screwdriver in the screw head might break it loose. The screw head is so tiny it will be difficult to use much torque on it, needless to say.

InTheWoods
07-24-2013, 02:07
Problem fixed! Set screw was removed and plate screws properly tightened. Thread tape was added to the windage shaft, as well. Everything is now perfect. Thanks for the help.