PDA

View Full Version : 1974 Colt Detective Special

PhillipM
07-23-2013, 01:48
I picked this up with a NIB Galco concealable holster for $450 locally. I couldn't pass up on the little belly gun. It shoots high but that may be my lack of proper training with a snubbie. Some idiot scratched up the side with the ejector star. How big a deal would it be to have that fixed? Any good self defense ammo suggestions? Buffalo Bore has a low flash round for short barrels I was thinking of trying.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3681/9349237390_b77cd6e1f7.jpg

Art
07-23-2013, 03:50
Very smooth little guns. I almost bought one before I settled on my 2" Model 15 in '73.

I don't know about the Buffalo Bore short barrel ammo per se but I do know their ammo, including the "standard velocity" stuff tends to run on the hot side, so I would check on that before I loaded it into a snubbie of the vintage of your new D.S. There are a couple of good 135 gr. +p loads made just for short barrel revolvers (the Speer 135 gr. Gold Dot hollow point did quite well in the F.B.I. protocols) that would be ok good if you didn't run a steady diet of them in that revolver, reserve them for carry after you fire a few to see where they hit. One of the 158 gr +P semi wadcutter hollow points would also be a good choice. If you go that route (158 gr. lead hollow point) I would recommend the Remington load which has the biggest hollow point cavity and the softest lead, therefore the best chance of getting at least some expansion. Again I recommend you not putting a steady diet of those through the little colt.

If you want a standard velocity load one of the 158 gr. semi wadcutters by Winchester or Remington would be good if you can find them, may take some shopping. Almost all .38s have their sights calibrated for standard velocity 158 gr. 38s and that may help your shooting high problem. In a defensive gun though shooting a bit high doesn't bother me a whole lot.

PhillipM
07-24-2013, 08:53
Art,

Thanks for the reply, the Buffalo bore I was looking at is standard pressure ammo, and it's in stock! I need to get the Dillon in gear for some plinking rounds.

Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Ammo - 158 gr. Soft Lead SWC-HC (850fps/M.E. 253 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

Due to customer demand, we've developed this defensive 38SPL ammo. Our customers wanted some devastating 38SPL loads that would fill the following criteria.

1. It won't hurt older/fragile/alloy revolvers. (Non +P)
2. Is effective as a "fight stopper" through the use of proper bullets.
3. Is more powerful than typical/standard, weak 38SPL ammo.
4. Generate much less recoil than our +P 38SPL ammo.
5. Is flash suppressed.

Buffalo Bore is introducing these three different heavy, yet standard pressure loadings for 38 SPL. These offerings are loaded at standard pressure, but they are much more powerful than normal 38SPL ammo. These loads will not harm older more fragile revolvers. So, these loads are safe for use in ANY 38 SPL revolver, provided it is in normal working condition. As stated above, the "POWER" level of these loads is really closer to a typical +P power level, but the pressure is standard. We are able to develop these powerful standard pressure loads with modern non-canister powders. Again, these loads recoil far less than our +P 38 SPL ammo.

All three of these loads are flash suppressed, so firing them in the dark wont blind you. We use flash suppressed powder in our defensive ammo, in the loadings we can, because over 90% of all civilian shootings in America, occur in low light, when the criminal element is at work. We don't want you blinded by your own gunfire after the first shot.

Item 20C utilizes the same 158gr. very soft lead cast, SWC-HC gas checked bullet, we load in our +P 38 SPL ammo. It is designed to expand and then penetrate quite deep. (Approx. 14 inches in human tissue) This bullet is gas checked and will NOT lead your barrel. Note the below velocities that I recorded out of my personal revolvers- NOT TEST BARRELS!

1. S&W mod. 60, 2 inch barrel - 854 fps (256 ft. lbs.)
2. S&W mod. 66, 2.5 inch barrel - 871 fps (266 ft. lbs.)
3. Ruger SP101, 3 inch barrel - 930 fps (303 ft. lbs.)
4. S&W Mt. Gun, 4 inch barrel - 979 fps (336 ft. lbs.)

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=110

Art
07-24-2013, 12:07
PhilipM,

That's pretty much +P performance and if they can get that with standard pressure, God bless 'em. Technology is a wonderful thing.

PhillipM
07-31-2013, 06:05
I'm having a small issue I don't know if it's a problem or the way it is supposed to be. The assembly of screw, spring, and detent that hold the crane on the frame is loose. If I tighten the screw, the cylinder will not swing out easily. There appears to be some lithium white dried grease where the detent makes contact.

What gives?