PDA

View Full Version : New trapdoor ...

jon_norstog
07-23-2013, 05:46
Last year I asked for advice on what TD to get for a shooter - Mr. Hosmer was kind enough to suggest the 1884 was pretty good. So I was feeling rich this spring and asked Al Frasca what he had in the way of a shooter. He emailed me yesterday about this one

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/442500.html

and I bought it on the spot, plus a bayonet. Now for a sling and I'm set up. I've owned and shot BP guns all my life but this is my first trapdoor.

jn

psteinmayer
07-23-2013, 07:20
That's pretty sweet Jon... Well Done!

jon_norstog
07-24-2013, 07:35
Paul,

I was tired of looking at overpriced, boogered up junk and had about given up on a TD. Mr Frasca has nice stuff in the $1500 and up range. I'm not sure why he priced this one so low - it wasn't a super bargain, but definitely a righteous price. I sent the check yesterday, should get the rifle in early August.

jn

p246
07-24-2013, 10:06
I have an older brother to yours 202 serial number older. My barrel also appeared unfired or near it. It has made a great shooter for me. I think you will enjoy yours. I need to get a bayonet and sling for mine.

Dick Hosmer
07-24-2013, 10:53
Jon, I suspect he lowered the price because of the mottled finish. Should be a great shooter. Al is VERY honest and dependable.

jon_norstog
07-24-2013, 01:07
Al's reputation kind of clinched the deal for me. And Dick, it was you advice steered me to the '84 as a shooter. I did order it with a bayonet, and plan to get a repro sling for (I hope) help in shooting the thing.

psteinmayer
07-24-2013, 06:58
Unfortunately, my 1873 rifle is not really an 1873... Dick identified it as a mixed parts gun - possibly even a Bannerman. It does shoot though... quite well in fact. I may go looking for a true Trapdoor shooter myself one of these days... but not for some time (not financially possible right now).

Major Tom
07-27-2013, 06:56
Four years ago I bought a M1884 rifle from Al. The condition is as near new as possible for a rifle being 125+ years old. In my experience, Al under rates his stuff. I, too, bought a bayonet w/scabbard from Al and also an original sling. I have fired alot of BP thru my 1884.

psteinmayer
07-27-2013, 08:49
Al supplied an ejector and ejector spring spindle for my 1873 Carbine. Great guy, and extremely helpful!

musculus
07-28-2013, 08:10
not just a "fair" price, for a mechanically crisp rifle with a minty bore, I would say this was EASILY a "bargain" price for such a nice shooter.. well-played!

jon_norstog
07-29-2013, 12:22
It was interesting to find out that his shop is in one of my old hometowns, Springfield OH. I lived there growing up, from about age 10 until I lit out for the Territories at age 17. I've been back once since then.

My friends and I used to ride our bikes out Paris Road, practically past his doorstep, on our way out fishing and adventuring in what was then open countryside. It was a sweet place to live, and might even be nicer now that Ohio has such a huge deer herd. You can grow almost anything there.

jn

jon_norstog
08-09-2013, 01:29
The trapdoor just aRRived and it is really a beauty. What looked like rust and crud in Mr. Frasca's catalog photo looks like patina in person. It is basically a new rifle. And for about half what Uberti charges for a repro. I got a bayonet with it, too, in case I have to quell civil disturbances. Pictures and a range test coming.

jn

John Sukey
08-09-2013, 03:55
Prices sure have changed. Bought my first one for $35. Wound up with over 30 of them starting with an 1865 in .58 rimfire. Have only one left, a rod bayonet model. THEN I caught Enfielditis. Terminal case! with a complication of Rolling blockitis and a touch of straight pull.
Trapdoors are fun especially when you can stink out the guy on the next bench with the BP smell and smoke

jon_norstog
08-10-2013, 08:15
That's part of the plan, John. What I do with my Argy rolling block already. I do think this trapdoor will shoot with the best of them once I get it sorted out.

jn