PDA

View Full Version : Help with Newly Acquired M2 Springfield

InTheWoods
07-22-2013, 11:56
I have just purchased an MII trainer/sporter in superb condition and I have several questions about the rifle and probable previous modifications, mostly to the butt stock. As you can note from the photos attached, this appears to be an M1 updated to an M2, with a barrel date of December 1933. The bolt numbers to the receiver. What appears to be the original sling also came with the rifle (Chicago Belting Company, marked H.E.). The sling appears to have been secured in it's tightly drawn position for decades, with the green brass fitting deposits falling upon the sling swivles. My questions:

1. The receiver is drilled and tapped. Was this probably done at the M1 to M2 conversion date or done privately? Distance between hole sets is about 7 3/8."

2. Is the barrel date the probable time of the original rifle build?

3. The stock seems to be of the NRA type, but the butt stock seems to be further refined (fluted comb, curved butt plate, etc.) than NRA-type stocks I have seen in photos. I am assuming these are modifications made by a previous owner and not made a Springfield Armory. Can you confirm this please? If these characteristics are mods (as I assume) they are well done, very tasteful, and appear to be done a long time ago due to the butt plate type. No changes appear to be made on the stock forward of the grip.

4. I am assuming these stock modifications significantly reduce collector interest. Correct?

5. Anyone know anything about this butt plate?

Thank you in advance for any information you may have on this rifle. BTW, it shoots great!

Photos:

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a542/knowlesacres/Receivertwo_zpsa89e48d3.jpg

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a542/knowlesacres/receiverring_zps869830af.jpg

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a542/knowlesacres/Barrel_zps7f1fa0a7.jpg

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a542/knowlesacres/buttstock_zpsb66a0e7e.jpg

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a542/knowlesacres/buttplate_zps90a6d33b.jpg

joem
07-22-2013, 01:18
Very Nice!! Good Pice to.

Herschel
07-22-2013, 03:36
I will attempt to answer your questions by the question numbers.

1. Your rifle is a 1922MII that was originally a 1922M1 DCM Club Issue Rifle. These were made up for issue to DCM affiliated rifle clubs. Their characteristics are: Drilled and tapped at SA for scope blocks. Came in the NRA stock. The closest rifle serial numbers to that of your rifle on the SRS list are shown to have been issued to or received from clubs.

2. Your rifle was built circa 1928. The barrel would be a replacement. The conversion to 1922MII would have been done in or after 1935 when the M2 bolt with headspace adjustment feature was introduced. From my observation of rifles I am of the opinion that replacement barrels on DCM Club Issue rifles came with holes drilled and tapped for the front scope block.

3. Your buttplate is either a very skillfully modified original buttplate or an aftermarket buttplate with the checkering pattern like the NRA buttplate that would have originally been on your rifle. You can probably remove the buttplate and find evidence on the back as to which is the case.

4. The bolt, magazine, barrel and metal finish are not original to the rifle. In my opinion the modified and neatly installed buttplate does not greatly diminish the collector interest. I have never seen such a buttplate before but it was not done by bubba in his garage.
I have some 1922M1 and 1922MII rifles in my collection with professionally modified stocks and aftermarket buttplates. I am poud to own them.

The sling is the Model 1907 that would have been used with the rifle. There is no way of knowing if the sling is "original" to the rifle. Slings were used and replaced when damaged. With your rifle having been returned to to Springfield Armory or an arsenal for modification one or more times, I would say the chances are slim to none that it was originally equipment on the rifle. It really makes no difference as the sling is correct for the rifle.

You have a fine rifle.

InTheWoods
07-22-2013, 04:22
Thank you very much for the great information on the history of my rifle! I will print it off and file it for future reference. Again, thank you for your expertise!

Bryan

Cosine26
08-14-2013, 08:04
The butt plate on this rifle looks very much like the one on my pre-WWII Model 70
FWIW

Roofuss
08-28-2013, 05:54
Sweet looking rifle you have there ... IN THE WOODS , very nice !
Just picked up a Springfield M2 serial # 4885 { barrel dated 3-33 } this past Saturday at a local gun shop. Got the itch to take her out to the range, but weather had put a damper on that for awhile.

joem
08-29-2013, 06:44
Very Nice rifle.

coonhound
08-31-2013, 04:43
I have an M2 (converted from M1) SN 16474B, which is not that far off from yours. Parkerized barrel dated 1-28 with scope mounts drilled on barrel (Unertl type). I believe mine to be all original. Checkered metal butt plate (I don't remember if it has a trapdoor or not - I thnk maybe not). NO pictures - it is in the back of my safe and too much weekend work to drag it out and take pictures. NIce rifle that you have despite the modifications to stock and butt plate

Herschel
08-31-2013, 12:10
coonhound, Your #16474B falls in the serial number range of several shown on the SRS list as having been issued to rifle clubs. I would bet that your rifle was a DCM Club Issue 1922M1. If so, it would have come from SA with the NRA stock and would have come drilled and tapped on the receiver ring and barrel for scope blocks. Most of the DCM Club Issue 1922M1 rifles were upgraded to 1922MII and were put into M2 stocks.

InTheWoods
09-02-2013, 01:54
Thank you, coonhound. I have really grown to like the modified buttstock. It now very closely resembles the better sporting rifle stocks of the era. The mods were well done and tasteful, in my opinion. Someone knew what they were doing.

Roofuss
10-05-2013, 05:19
Finally had a chance to shoot the M2 I bought several weeks ago .....sweeeeet !