PDA

View Full Version : problem removing bolt

Maggie Drawers
07-21-2013, 05:28
OK, this is a dumb question but I thought I'd ask anyhow.
I know how to remove the bolt. My problem is that my fingers aren't quite what they used to be. My extractor is really hard to pull up (oddly, I have a friend whose Krag has a extractor that can easily be pulled up with just a hooked finger...?) Is there a trick/tool/technique that I'm missing?
Thanks for any advice.

jon_norstog
07-21-2013, 06:56
Doesn't sound right to me, Maggie. You say you can open your friend's bolt, but not yours? Something may be hanging it up.

good luck!

jn

Maggie Drawers
07-21-2013, 10:05
I was not clear, my apologies. I can easily open the bolt on my rifle or any bolt action rifle. My problem is raising the extractor so I can REMOVE the bolt from the rifle. Is there an easy way to raise the extractor so the bolt can be removed? That's my problem.

jon_norstog
07-21-2013, 10:31
I should have been more clear as well. If you can lift the extractor on your friend's rifle, but not yours, something may be wrong. Good luck!

jn

ebeeby
07-21-2013, 10:42
I dunno...in my (limited) experience, each rifle requires its own combination of lifting and twisting. Are you twisting the bolt at the same time you lift on the extractor?

madsenshooter
07-21-2013, 11:09
Each has its own tension it seems, depending on how fitted. My parkerized Krag is tight, with the bolt pulled back insert a small flat bladed screwdriver under the extractor ahead of the receiver bridge. You might have to rotate it a smidge while putting pressure on the bolt handle with the wrist of the same hand. That is if you're right handed!

Maggie Drawers
07-21-2013, 04:34
Ah! The screwdriver and turning the bolt does the trick. Much easier...still tight but much easier.

Thanks, to all of you.

psteinmayer
07-21-2013, 06:45
My sporter is tight and tension is hard, so removing the bolt is difficult. My 1898 rifle on the other hand, is very easy to remove! I agree... every Krag seems to be unique.