PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Revolver

Art
07-20-2013, 05:03
I don't know if this has been covered, I know there was one on favorite "snubbies." So put down your favorite revolvers.

Mine are the big Smith&Wesson "N" frame .357 Magnums, especially the pre 1982 Model 27 and its ancestors. The Highway Patrolman isn't far behind though.

Andouille
07-20-2013, 05:14
I also had a few of N-frame Smiths that I was quite fond of, including a 27 and a 28, but I tend to like most of the various K-frame Smith revolvers the best. They just feel better than the big framed guns to me for reasons that can't be explained. But, the most accurate revolver that ever lived at my house, was a Model 27. That gun was a laser.

p246
07-20-2013, 05:23
I would say model 686 or colt python for magnums. Hands down my S&W Model 15 for 38 special.

Tuna
07-20-2013, 05:39
The 686 is an excellent compromise between the K frames and the N frames. I've got close to 30K rounds through mine with about 5K being .357 loads. It is the most accurate revolver I have ever fired. I have never been a fan of the Colt Python. It's got a delicate internal system that has been know to break and that and the fact that they were all finished at the Colt custom shop which took quite a bit of hand fitting. They are a beautiful handgun but not my cup of tea.

randy langford
07-20-2013, 09:08
I would have to say for just plain fun my K22 Smith if it is serious then my 4 inch 29-2.

ebeeby
07-20-2013, 09:14
S&W New Model #3 in 44 Russian

Webley "WG" in 455

Delightful!

p246
07-21-2013, 02:03
The 686 is an excellent compromise between the K frames and the N frames. I've got close to 30K rounds through mine with about 5K being .357 loads. It is the most accurate revolver I have ever fired. I have never been a fan of the Colt Python. It's got a delicate internal system that has been know to break and that and the fact that they were all finished at the Colt custom shop which took quite a bit of hand fitting. They are a beautiful handgun but not my cup of tea.

Tuna are you reading my mind...when I posted I was thinking well 686 is favorite to shoot, Colt Python favorite to look at, so I listed them both. The Python I had for some time was trouble free. But I knew she was not as tough as she looked so I shot 38 specials out of her. The 686 gets anything that will fit stuffed down the tube.

I will also mention I've had some older Rugers that where great, tough, accurate revolvers. I just could never warm up to their cylinder release.

Tuna
07-21-2013, 07:45
Well I should mention that the action on my 686 is so darn smooth from shooting it as much as I have that I no longer can claim it as mine. The wife who has shot all of my handguns stated in no uncertain terms that the 686 was hers and has ordered that I must be sure to have at least 100 rounds of .357 magnum loaded for her to shoot and no .38 spl. when we go to the range. Of course I get the honor of cleaning it afterwards.

Michael Tompkins
07-21-2013, 08:35
Out of all of the revolvers I've shot over the years, the Model 25 in .45 ACP was the sweetest. Mike

Art
07-21-2013, 02:02
Out of all of the revolvers I've shot over the years, the Model 25 in .45 ACP was the sweetest. Mike

Big frame S&Ws in cartridge types they were designed for, like .45 ACP are very, very nice guns. At my gun club I occasionally run into a retired Texas State Trooper. This guy shoots old, old rifles like Winchester low walls Martini-Henrys, Remington Rolling Blocks and Winchester 1873s. None of his guns are repros either. His idea of a modern cartridge is the .218 Bee. Obviously this guy rolls most of his own ammo. Anyhow his favorite revolver is his Texas Commemorative S&W Model 544. If you've never heard of the gun you can be forgiven. The S&W 544 was a limited production model limited to a couple of commemorative models in 44-40. He shoots his and says that it is his personal favorite revolver. It is a beautiful thing to look at I must say.

dave
07-21-2013, 02:19
The Colt SSA, hands down!

noslack327
07-21-2013, 05:57
Any model 10 built into a PPC revolver.

da gimp
07-23-2013, 03:47
Big frame S&Ws in cartridge types they were designed for, like .45 ACP are very, very nice guns. At my gun club I occasionally run into a retired Texas State Trooper. This guy shoots old, old rifles like Winchester low walls Martini-Henrys, Remington Rolling Blocks and Winchester 1873s. None of his guns are repros either. His idea of a modern cartridge is the .218 Bee. Obviously this guy rolls most of his own ammo. Anyhow his favorite revolver is his Texas Commemorative S&W Model 544. If you've never heard of the gun you can be forgiven. The S&W 544 was a limited production model limited to a couple of commemorative models in 44-40. He shoots his and says that it is his personal favorite revolver. It is a beautiful thing to look at I must say.

Art, most of those guns & cartridges were new when we were kids.................All joking aside, my favorite is an early Colt Python 4" or a S&W mod 29 4", followed closely by a S&W 36 & a Colt Agent both are .38spec & are snubbies.... I have 4 favorite revolvers..........

Ltdave
07-23-2013, 04:44
Colt King Cobra...

i shoot this the most of my revolvers...

glockshot
07-24-2013, 02:06
It has too be My N frame Smiths in .41 and .44 mag..Just something about the feel of them and the way they handle.....

amber
07-25-2013, 09:29

Mike, I have to agree with you 100%. I had a nice supply of .45 Auto Rim brass and reloaded them with a 230 gr. FMJ bullet to GI specs. I have regreted selling it for the last 20 years. It was sold to a shop in upstate NY. I wonder who has it now? S/N was 460,000 (that's the exact number). It was still like NIB when I parted with it.

Halifax
07-26-2013, 05:05
I don't know what it is but I just love my ruger sp101 in 9mm.

pendennis
07-27-2013, 07:44
This one had been a "grail" gun. I picked it up a few months ago. It's a really sweet shooter. It was produced right toward the end of the 3.5" models. The 4" model replaced both the 3.5" and 5" models. The "ivory" stocks were made by Charles Spresser.
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu331/pendennis1947/SmithampWessonModel27-23inIvoriesLeft_zps8e9fe5aa.jpg

dryheat
07-27-2013, 10:20
Now that's nice. Presumable before you shot it.

Art
07-29-2013, 05:50
This one had been a "grail" gun. I picked it up a few months ago. It's a really sweet shooter. It was produced right toward the end of the 3.5" models. The 4" model replaced both the 3.5" and 5" models. The "ivory" stocks were made by Charles Spresser.
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu331/pendennis1947/SmithampWessonModel27-23inIvoriesLeft_zps8e9fe5aa.jpg

I haven't seen a lot of 3 1/2" versions with a target hammer and trigger. Very nice gun.

aintright
08-10-2013, 07:21
I have a really nice N frame 357 five inch barrel that was given to me by a very sweet lady , it is pretty darn accurate and a nice piece of work to look at . It has been worked over and has the smoothest double action I have ever fired .
As for the most accurate , the Dan Wesson was something else , sometimes when I had my ducks in a row it would shoot one fat cluster at fifty yds open sights . But it was just to much trouble to keep tuned , back then I would shoot three hundred to five hindered rds a weekend and would have to have it tuned three to four times a year .
I also had a Colt officers target model Six inch barrel 38 spl with windage sights in the rear and elevation on the front , with wad cutters it was one accurate pistol .
Pulled a shot off with it one day that I have never forgotten , an old friend , my son , and myself where riding down the road and saw a fox trotting across a field about a hundred yds away , I told my friend to stop the car and he thought I was about to waste a bullet . I held about a foot high and full body lead . Gun cracked and that fox rolled end over end with feet sticking in the air when he stopped . I was smiling ear to ear . Went through the shoulders . That was with semi wad cutter hollow point . That is one gun I have kicked myself many a time for selling . Kenneth