PDA

View Full Version : Dirty primers??

Twinson
07-16-2013, 07:49
Are there some primmers that burn cleaner than others? When I shot the issue ammo at Perry a few years ago (the hornady 168amx) I pulled the primers on spent cases, the primmer pocket was really clean. After I reloaded with varget and a WLR and fired. I pulled the spent primer out and there was heavy black carbon that I have to clean out of the primmer pocket? I think that Hornady used Federal primers if I remember correctly?

madsenshooter
07-17-2013, 02:18
The cleanest I've found were Tula unleaded primers, but they sometimes don't fire, and even when they do they're not up to snuff, won't fire a .308 case loaded with 4895 very good. But they're clean burning!

psteinmayer
07-17-2013, 06:49
Sellier and Bellot .45 ACP rounds always have immaculately clean primer pockets. I usually use Winchester primers for Pistol and CCI for Rifle. They are moderate as far as clean burning. If you're looking for a good way to clean the pockets... Use a Dremmel #405 bristle brush in your Dremmel tool. Cleans them right out, and since it's bristle (plastic), it won't damage the pockets!

joem
07-18-2013, 07:06
A friens of mine uses a sonic cleaner. His cases come out like new.