PDA

View Full Version : smokin crack now legal???

chuckindenver
07-16-2013, 07:01
so today, im at Gander mountain picking up a couple cheap hard cases for shipping..i notice a couple 1903 variants on the rack..so.
i ask the clerk to see them
first is a 1903A3 Remington nice shape but a rebuild...price was 999.00 little steep, but not to far out of line.
second is handed to me..1919 dated 1903, 42 SA replacement barrel, scant grip stock, parked finish....hold on to my boots....2495.00
so i couldnt resist...i ask...who comes up with these prices? clerk responds...its a flat blue book price...with a snotty little sneer at me..
so i respond..what blue book is that? the smoking crack guide to gun prices book??
sheesh...normally i just hand em back and walk away...somehow...that wasnt as fun..what a doush canoe

tmark
07-16-2013, 07:40
Maybe there was something hidden in the buttstock that made the rifle more expensive to buy?

Randy A
07-16-2013, 09:16
It's funny how they all overlook the fine print at the bottom of the first page that says to knock off 80% if it's been through a rebuild. It never applies to "their" gun, it's all original:icon_rolleyes:

Rick the Librarian
07-16-2013, 09:48
Amen to that!

I know ... it must have been George Patton's personal rifle!! :D

Griff Murphey
07-17-2013, 05:08
No, the one Karl Malden carried as Gen. Omar Bradley IN the movie PATTON???

Rick the Librarian
07-17-2013, 05:39
It's funny how they all overlook the fine print at the bottom of the first page that says to knock off 80% if it's been through a rebuild. It never applies to "their" gun, it's all original:icon_rolleyes:

My favorite is the claim on a current ad I'm watching on Gunbroker that the rifle (an unremarkable mixmaster) was "examined by a master gunsmith" who claimed it was worth $3500. Apparently, the master gunsmith was a "master" with other weapons than the M1903! :D

chuckindenver
07-17-2013, 06:20
master gunsmith {eyeroll}

ismith
07-17-2013, 08:49
And if he was a fishing guide he would be a.....................

Doug Douglass
07-18-2013, 06:20
I have seen the same mispricing on used firearms at Gander Mountain. You do know they are all gun experts that is why they make $7.50 an hour.

Rick the Librarian
07-18-2013, 06:30
...and Cabelas. The prices are way over the top and the descriptions are misleading or just plain wrong.

Weasel
07-18-2013, 09:33
Now you want to see an over priced 1903 check this one out. That SPG cartouche doesn't look like mine.

http://shop.pre98.com/product.sc?productId=1667&categoryId=18

Rick the Librarian
07-19-2013, 05:28
I agree - the SA/SPG looks fake to me. Nothing on SRS. I wonder if it was "restored" to NM standards.

CptEnglehorn
07-20-2013, 02:48
if were goin by the magical book these guys seem to have, ive sold alot of rifles at dirt cheap prices.

Clark Howard
07-20-2013, 06:16
When you are in one of these retail stores, take a moment and look at the other customers. Many are totally out of their element, and have no idea what they are looking at. Especially the ones at the AR rack. I can see no rational for spending $430 for a Henry .22 at Gander Mountain, when you can walk across the parking lot and buy the same item at Wallyworld for $295. Gander still sells a few. They do have great sales on their fishing stuff and clothing, which is top quality. I still can't buy guns or ammo from them. Regards, Clark

ClaudeH
07-22-2013, 04:16
When you are in one of these retail stores, take a moment and look at the other customers. Many are totally out of their element, and have no idea what they are looking at. Especially the ones at the AR rack. I can see no rational for spending $430 for a Henry .22 at Gander Mountain, when you can walk across the parking lot and buy the same item at Wallyworld for $295. Gander still sells a few. They do have great sales on their fishing stuff and clothing, which is top quality. I still can't buy guns or ammo from them. Regards, Clark

When you are in [Gander Mountain, especially], take a moment and look at the staff. Many are totally out of their element...

Dom13
07-22-2013, 06:42
Not an 03 but relevant to the thread. I was in the local gun shop one day and watched a guy sell an M1 to the shop for $400.00. I walked around a bit then went up to the counter and asked to see the rifle. The clerk handed it to me and it was an unremarkable 2mil rifle. Pitting on the receiver, the crown was wrecked and the rear hand guard front hand guard and butt stock were all different colors. Probably a combo of walnut and birch. I asked the clerk how much and he says $1000. I hand the rifle back to him and say wow that's a shame. He says yeah it's pretty beat up. I say no I mean it's a shame some un suspecting soul will give you a $1000. for that stove pipe wrapped in fire wood.