PDA

View Full Version : 1911s SUCK........

Guamsst
07-16-2013, 06:21
I can't decide if this guy is funny or annoying. Sad thing is he says he is an instructor but doesn't know enough to even make a valid point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJj90eNIfE&feature=em-comment_reply_received&lch=email_reply&lc=dChZqYMHmut10iI8x6JJRU55PzdXMYHo_LHAHURsDPY

I like this guys response. I think he made his point very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0rsC1ztVJY

joem
07-17-2013, 08:56
I think the guy in the first vid is full of $ &*#. I have fired hundreds of rounds through all my 1911's type pistols in 9X19mm,9X23, .38 auto, 40 S&W and .45ACP. They function every time. I have fired Glocks and they are quite accurate buy they don't feel right for me. Thanks but I'll keep my steel 1911's.

p246
07-17-2013, 09:16
Some points
He has main spring housings backwards flat was original arch came out in 1924...
He curses 1911 owners for being over invested in their guns. He then makes it apparent that he is over invested in Glocks.
He says there are very few high end 1911 manufacturers....There are 2 many to name
A Ftf or fte is a type of malfunction...so they technically are correct
No body gives a **** if your glock works

p246
07-17-2013, 09:32
I carry a 21sf at work and a 1911 I built off duty. I like both. I am the dept armorer and keep 65 21sf and 5 30sf hand guns running. We have been in them for five years. They go bang and are accurate but idiot boys statement about quality assembly line production had me laughing. Within 1 year one 21sf came back from factory with only original frame and barrel due to fte issues. All 21sf yeah 65 had to have new trigger housings because originals out of spec and trigger bar chipped rear corner off. Just sent one in with cracked frame are 2200 rd count. I won't even get into the 9/45 argument. My 1911 is at 5100 rd count and I have replaced recoil spring. My 21sf is at 3000 rd count and recoil spring and trigger housing has been changed. My hard fit KArt NM barrel, hand fit upper to lower etc 1911 is more accurate but not ungodly so. Both are well under minute of man at 25 yards.

SMOKEY
07-17-2013, 10:42
Opinions of the 1911 are like a$$holes. Everyone has one and a great many just stink. Give me my 45 any day of the week. Aint purdy but it works

Scott Gahimer
07-17-2013, 01:56
Speaking of being over-invested in something...

A few (probably several, by now) years ago, I remember when the Indiana State Police switched over to Glock .40 S&W. They had previously been using the Beretta 92G, then switched to the .40 S&W 96G. Prior to that, S&W Model 66. They's used the Berettas long enough the troopers had become very proficient with them and liked them. They also had Beretta .380 as back-ups.

Then, ISP got a new Superintendent who was a "Glock guy". A decision was made to go to a .40 S&W Glock and get rid of all the ISP Berettas. When the troopers started familiarizing and qualifying, they had all kinds of problems with them not functioning. As a result, many troopers literally refused to surrender their Berettas. Glock got involved and, at that time, could not work out the problem(s). In the end, Glock convinced the Superintendent (or vice-versa) to go back to 9mm.

A lot of the troopers I've spoken to were pretty dissatisfied with that decision. Most welcomed the 96G Beretta as an improvement over the 92G and saw going to 9mm as a step backwards.

Guamsst
07-17-2013, 02:33
What amazes me is that the Glock fanboys and 9mm zealots all state "facts" that either are wrong or are actually opinions. Worst part is, 1911 is available in 9mm so how do they want to counter that one?

What I really like is that the Glock fanboy talks allot of talk but the guy in the response video WALKS THE WALK.

Dick Craig
07-17-2013, 08:22
I have owned six Glocks over the years one 9mm and five 40s&w's. I liked them but they never impressed me as much as any of the 1911's. One thing that I experienced with my then G27 was a detonation before being totally in battery which blew the mag out the bottom. When I owned a small gunshop I had three customers complain of the same problem, two of which damaged the guns. Glock made them good with no fanfare. All were 40's and all were shot with factory ammo according to the owners. I know mine was. Anyhow I sold all of mine and doubtful will ever own another. I have also shot hundreds (or more) rounds through 1911's in 45acp, 40s&w and 38 super at USPSA and Steel Challenge Matches the local pistol club over the last 15 years with very few problems. I will admit a couple of my 1911's have been worked over but they are my buddies. This is just my 2 cents worth. Dick OFC

p246
07-18-2013, 06:42
Speaking of being over-invested in something...

A few (probably several, by now) years ago, I remember when the Indiana State Police switched over to Glock .40 S&W. They had previously been using the Beretta 92G, then switched to the .40 S&W 96G. Prior to that, S&W Model 66. They's used the Berettas long enough the troopers had become very proficient with them and liked them. They also had Beretta .380 as back-ups.

We had issues then to we had 58 glock 22 handguns ran fine all made pre Dec 2005. We bought 6 more made post Dec 2005 that had problems with FTF. Rounds ended up nose down on feed ramp. ATF made G lock embed serial number in frame starting Dec 2005. This small change cause frame to stiffen enough slide velocity increased enough mag could not keep up. Final fix was #8 mag follower and 11 coil spring. In meantime it was time for us to get new guns so we went 21SF.

Then, ISP got a new Superintendent who was a "Glock guy". A decision was made to go to a .40 S&W Glock and get rid of all the ISP Berettas. When the troopers started familiarizing and qualifying, they had all kinds of problems with them not functioning. As a result, many troopers literally refused to surrender their Berettas. Glock got involved and, at that time, could not work out the problem(s). In the end, Glock convinced the Superintendent (or vice-versa) to go back to 9mm.

A lot of the troopers I've spoken to were pretty dissatisfied with that decision. Most welcomed the 96G Beretta as an improvement over the 92G and saw going to 9mm as a step backwards.

Ii

p246
07-18-2013, 06:44
Scott somehow my reply ended up in your quote...2nd paragraph.

Dave Waits
07-18-2013, 09:35
What 'Impresses me' about this dreamer is that over two days the guys in his classes fire at least 50,000 rounds a day! 15,000 students, 15,000,000 rounds of ammo equals 100,000 rounds per student over two days. Just another deluded Glockophile.

Maybe we've inadvertently discovered the reason for the ammo shortage.

seagoatami
07-18-2013, 09:53
What 'Impresses me' about this dreamer is that over two days the guys in his classes fire at least 50,000 rounds a day! 15,000 students, 15,000,000 rounds of ammo equals 100,000 rounds per student over two days. Just another deluded Glockophile.

Maybe we've inadvertently discovered the reason for the ammo shortage.

lol lol I dont think anyone could fire 50,K rounds in 48 hrs. even if they didnt have to reload, maybe with a machine gun but not with an semi auto pistol. thats a lot of ammo

PhillipM
07-18-2013, 10:34
I think he was being cumulative about the 15,000, lol!

I'll quote wiki regarding the comments that the Hi-Power was an improved design over the 1911.

FN commissioned John Browning to design a new military sidearm conforming to this specification. Browning had previously sold the rights to his successful M1911 U.S. Army automatic pistol to Colt's Patent Firearms, and was therefore forced to design an entirely new pistol while working around the M1911 patents.

At first I thought it was another Rob Pincus 1911 bash... maybe bald guys just hate the 1911?

FN commissioned John Browning to design a new military sidearm conforming to this specification. Browning had previously sold the rights to his successful M1911 U.S. Army automatic pistol to Colt's Patent Firearms, and was therefore forced to design an entirely new pistol while working around the M1911 patents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P0edDYdqXU

I became frustrated trying to hear what the guy in the video response was saying over the off camera gun fire and wind noise.

emmagee1917
07-18-2013, 10:53
lol lol I dont think anyone could fire 50,K rounds in 48 hrs. even if they didnt have to reload, maybe with a machine gun but not with an semi auto pistol. thats a lot of ammo

In WW1 , they pulled a unit out of the line and moved them down to attack in another place . They could not leave that section unmaned , but they had little to put there. During the night when the unit moved out , six 1917 Browning machinegun crews moved in with truckloads of 30-06 belted ammo. Over the next 24 hours those six guns pumped out over a million rounds of 30-06 between them. Noone charged that line during those 24 hours until the unit returned . What was lost was how much water they went through . Never in the 24 hours were less than four guns in operation at the same time .
Chris

Guamsst
07-18-2013, 09:31
emmagee, that reminds me. Brownings proving test with the 1911 for U.S. Army trials was 6,000 rounds interrupted by mag swaps and repeated dumping into a bucket of water when the weapon got uncomfortably hot. Apparently it had ZERO failures during the 6,000rds. Most 1911 problems are due to overly tight tolerances on target guns you shouldn't be carrying for defense or the Bubba syndrome where people work on parts at home that should be left to a gunsmith (Why I haven't messed with mine in weeks....ran out of stuff I can actually do)

I have an H&K USP .40 By all rights it is at least as good as a Glock and arguably better. It has been relegated to secondary duty now that I have my 1911. I recommended a 1911 to my mom. I do not recommend specific guns in most cases and I sure as heck won't stick my mom with a gun I don't trust. I put hardened parts and new springs in her surplus CZ52 and Femaru, The Makarov was in great shape and came from a trustworthy source but was well tested before it got my blessing. Her 1911 got a trip to the range for familiarization and thats all it took for either of us to be comfortable with it.

Guamsst
07-18-2013, 09:39
I became frustrated trying to hear what the guy in the video response was saying over the off camera gun fire and wind noise.

The thing you really needed to hear in the video response was BANG ping....... BANG ping.........BANG ping....... BANG ping.........BANGpingBANGping........BANG ping.

m1ashooter
07-18-2013, 09:43
I love this country. It allows everyone to have an opinion. I only have two handguns, both are 1911's. I don't feel I have a need for any other handgun. I like steel.

Tuna
07-19-2013, 06:05
Wiki is quite often more often wrong then right about firearms. I think you will find that John Browning licensed the rights to his 1911 to Colt and still owned then outright. He was approached by the French while working with FN to produce a possible multi shot pistol for them using their round which was the 7.65 French long and that was a direct copy of the US 30 Pedersen round. He was well on his way with this pistol when he died and a fellow employee at FN took up the design and finished it making it the famous Browning Hi-Power. John Browning did make changes to this design that he felt were in need of updating like no barrel bushing or barrel link and pin but the basic design is still the same between then 1911 and the Hi-Power and both continue on today.

Johnny P
07-19-2013, 07:13
There were preliminary tests leading up to the final 6000 round test between the Savage and the Colt pistols, and this is the information on the actual test. From Ordnance records:

"The two pistols were then thoroughly examined, oiled and fired deliberately 6000 rounds each, being cleaned thoroughly, examined and oiled after each 1000 rounds. Wherever examination showed the least sign of deformation it was noted. Each pistol was fired 100 rounds and then was allowed to cool while the other was fired, giving each pistol at least 5 minutes to cool. Firing was not begun after cooling until the hand could be placed on the slide over the barrel without discomfort. There was an interval of about two seconds between shots in the same magazine when the pistol functioned normally."

Johnny P
07-19-2013, 07:30
The U.S. Ordnance Department put out the specifications for a semi-automatic pistol of .45 caliber. At the time John Browning worked for Colt, and the design that JB and the Colt engineers came up with was the pistol that was eventually accepted by the military. Colt owned the manufacturing rights to the Model 1911 pistol, and produced a civilian version known as the Government Model.

As part of the negotiations for the Model 1911 pistol contract, Springfield Armory obtained the rights to manufacture the pistol at Springfield. This agreement was between Colt and Ordnance officials.

The development of the pistol that became the Browning High Power had hit a snag, and it wasn't until after John Browning's death that the patent rights on the Model 1911 expired, and some features from the Model 1911 were incorporated on the HP, and it was successfully completed.

The Shadow
07-23-2013, 07:14
I love my 1911. I love my Glock. I'm equally confidant carrying either one. Bottom line, it's not the tool but the workman that counts.

Terry

Thomasm
07-23-2013, 08:01
Somebody needs to get this data to the Marines, they've been using the wrong pistol for 100 years. But then, just mabey, all those years on the battlefield trumps his 15 million rds. (really ???) at paper targets.

bobby L
09-01-2013, 05:41
wonder if with all those rounds fired (students)...... they actually hit anything?

bobby L
09-01-2013, 05:46
Racking the slide of a 1911 is like sitting at a red light goosing the engine of a Corvette... all that power is mere seconds away!

John Sukey
09-01-2013, 09:37
While I own a 1911, my carry gun is a Ruger P345. It has one feature the 1911 doesn't have, a double action trigger. So I can have one up the spout safely without the necessity of having the hammer cocked. I did own a Glock for about a week but traded it in.

Guamsst
09-03-2013, 09:13
While I own a 1911, my carry gun is a Ruger P345. It has one feature the 1911 doesn't have, a double action trigger. So I can have one up the spout safely without the necessity of having the hammer cocked. I did own a Glock for about a week but traded it in.

That, in my opinion is the only real drawback of the 1911. Last thing I want is an AD or to have to fight the weapon when I need it. I still love the 1911 though and so does my boss, and my mom, and now my wife....

http://sphotos-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1175392_10151616206721200_680387033_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1236456_10151616206731200_1374986650_n.jpg

Guamsst
09-03-2013, 09:15
This was also the first time she has shot a 1911 and put less than 50rds through it. I'd say the gun fits most women pretty well and they tend to have a naturally good aim point and hold.

PhillipM
09-03-2013, 12:16
The 1911 hater in the first post had his CCW license revoked. Now he can only carry a pop gun.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/state-suspends-handgun-carry-permit-of-tactical-response

Guamsst
09-04-2013, 08:13
Oh, and I wasn't looking but my wife said the woman in the next lane, shooting the modern handgun, murdered the hell out of the woman on the target and only hit the zombie 2-3 times...LOL

As to the guy in the video, he is obviously a serious $#!T TALKER. While I understand his frustration with gunlaws, he wasn't smart enough to control his mouth. One more reason I find his rambling unconvincing.

PhillipM
09-06-2013, 03:08
Oh, and I wasn't looking but my wife said the woman in the next lane, shooting the modern handgun, murdered the hell out of the woman on the target and only hit the zombie 2-3 times...LOL

As to the guy in the video, he is obviously a serious $#!T TALKER. While I understand his frustration with gunlaws, he wasn't smart enough to control his mouth. One more reason I find his rambling unconvincing.

But wait there's more to James Yeager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-fjrRB7WPQ

Yeager, driver of the lead car, engaged the parking brake on a manual car and put it into neutral because his foot/leg was starting to hurt. Then, SHF, he forgets the car is in neutral/parking brake on, tries to go and it won't go anywhere so he thinks the car is disabled and then runs across the road, jumps into a ditch, leaving behind his wounded buddies. Somehow his hype doesn't seem to match his actions.

Official AAR

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:Yt_JaVWY6uAJ:www.defensereview.com/stories/biap/ERSM%2520Corporate%2520version%2520AAR.doc+Upon+th e+initiation+of+contact+the+lead+vehicle+driven+by +James+Yeager+attempted+to+drive+out+of+the+kill+z one+and+was+unsuccessful+as+Yeager+had+taken+the+c ar+out+of+drive+placing+it+in+neutral+and+setting+ the+emergency+hand+brake+which+prevented+him+from+ driving+out+of+the+kill+zone+during+the+opening+st ages+of+the+contact.+Upon+failing+to+drive+%22off+ the+X%22+Yeager,+Mark+Collen+and+Steff+Surette+eva cuated+the+vehicle&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESg39JRBk90iUT3b5Cw8eO59TI43IJvTF9lKF5EY _0KvbmVIUxD8gNFk16JwUlBVemD2nLTVH3QkxusSJ4e2IXCExu XBSFIdJ3O47b2BLzx0EmQZ9kGHKzHg0_Ge5GLTkm5U7tmW&sig=AHIEtbTkVAEWCE7GEbKS21fzOG1W1JENnQ

Guamsst
09-07-2013, 12:46
Hard to fault him for running for cover, easy to fault him for leaving the other two and staying there while someone else covers the folks in his car and tends the wounded. Also, The AAR and the video are only vaguely similar but I guess "Yeager then took off like a scalded dog for the ditch where he remained until well after contact was broken" just isn't as official sounding.

If he was just "some guy" I'd feel bad for him having his failure out there for the world to see. But since he wants the "badass" image and to be a "tactical" instructor I think it should be mandatory viewing for anyone who takes his class.....before they pay him.

bobby L
02-22-2014, 07:43
" 1911s suck".... Probably an accurate statement..... IF SPOKEN BY THE NEXT OF KIN OF ANYONE UNLUCKY ENOUGH TO BE FACING THE WRONG END OF ONE.

ncblksmth1
02-27-2014, 05:49
I will never understand why a quality firearm is bad. He probably keeps an RG .38 in his night stand, after crap guns are better.

ncblksmth1
02-27-2014, 05:53
If you do the wrong thing repeatedly for years it doesn't make you an expert.

da gimp
03-01-2014, 09:35
To the best of my knowledge, Glock remains the only firearms manufacturer that tells prospective buyers in the firearm's factory instruction booklet, that using properly loaded handloads & some properly loaded factory new ammo in their firearm, can cause any of their pistols to explode, seriously injuring or killing the shooter, or any bystanders near to the point that the pistol is fired................. and folks, that was & is enough for me to NEVER buy or shoot any weapon they make................... heck they spent enough money on "campaign donations" that the US Congress exempted firearms from US Consumer liability laws......................... just for them...........and that is truly scary.........

screw Glock, their lawyers and PR staff.............

Dave Waits
03-01-2014, 02:28
While it's certainly true that operating a 1911 as a CCW requires some thought it is still, even cocked and locked, the safest firearm around. Even if the thumb-safety is swept off by clothing or whatever, if the gun is properly maintained it's perfectly safe as the grip-safety still needs to be depressed and trigger pulled to fire. If you carry a 1911 and have a N/D because the thumb-safety was swept off you have no business with any firearm as you can't safely maintain and test it. That is on you, not the gun. I'v carried a cocked and locked five-inch 1911 for about fifteen years now without trouble. The main problem I see with a 1911 and people is that they don't or won't put in the time required to be adequately familiar with the gun and train with it enough to subconsciously do what is required to bring it into play.

No Semi-Auto is safer and, at the same time, faster for the first aimed shot from the holster than a 1911.

broom jockey
03-02-2014, 06:39
I also carry a full size 45 auto cocked and locked in a BlackHawk "plastic holster" (don't remember the model). I wear it right hand crossdraw. I have been shooting 1911s for almost 50 years. I can draw, fire and hit a paper plate at 15 yards first shot.

ncblksmth1
02-16-2015, 07:42
He is full of Hockeypuck. Did he say the old gunfighters pinned the grip safety down? He complained about having to hold the gun just right. Maybe we are being hard on this guy. He is handicapped both mentally and physically.