PDA

View Full Version : Requesting help with a WWII Remington Model 11

SloopJohnB
07-14-2013, 12:37
I'm helping a friend sell a WWII "Military Finish" marked Remington Model 11, and would greatly appreciate some help in establishing what he has, and a rough "ball park" idea as to value.
The gentleman's father was a Navy lieutenant (Gunnery Division Officer) on a carrier in WWII who was presented with the gun at war's end. I'm guessing there is no real collector value to the gun as the barrel and receiver serial numbers do not match, and the barrel is blued while the receiver appears to be a dull blue/parkerized finish. In addition, the fore grip and stock appear to have a different finish. There is a spot on the L/H side of the stock that may indicate an ordnance stamp was sanded off.
As best I can determine, it has approximately an 20" barrel with a Cutts compensator on the end with no choke markings on the barrel. It has the Ordnance ball on the barrel and receiver, with the "Military Finish" marking on the receiver.
I've posted a few pics of the gun, and would be happy to provide more if it helps. While I know a little bit about M1 carbines, Garands and 1911's, I have no experience with the military shotguns. I would very much appreciate any info, estimates of market value, and suggested venues for selling for this gent. Email me with any questions/request for additional pics at: kiko1(REMOVE)@ bendcable.com
Thanks in advance to you all.
John

2flasargent
07-14-2013, 05:02
I have one similar to it. Provinance would seem spot on. From some reading they were used by the Navy for training in aerial gunnery, so the ship probably had a number of them. Armorers weren't too fussy about getting exactly the right serial barrel w/ the same receiver, so probably all the mismatch happened shipboard. Somewhere I saw a video of a sailor strapped upright in a truck over a rough course shooting at moving targets. Raw guess is $350-400 based on what I paid a while back. Do get a manual. the recoil system is adjustable for various loads dependent on how it's assembled.
Hope this helps, Others may know more.

scosgt
07-14-2013, 06:58
The Remington M11 is the most common military shotgun. There were TONS of them.
Since yours is in a sporting configuration, it was probably used plenty for skeet or hunting after it left the Service.
Unless they are in dead mint condition, M11's don't bring much money. Of course, mis-matched is the kiss of death.
Guys like to ask silly money for them, but I doubt they ever get it.
Probably jump on it if someone offers $350.