PDA

View Full Version : Question on the 26th Cavalry PS and Model 1915 bolo bayonet

RCS
07-11-2013, 06:33
While reading some background information on the variations of the US bolo bayonets, I read that some 5800 Model 1915 bolo bayonets were sent to Manila in 1916.

Later in 1935, the Model 1913 saber was withdrawn from service. As the 26th Cavalry was issued Both the Model 1911 pistol and Model 1903 rifle but was never issued any Model 1905 bayonets. the Model 1905 bayonet was not issued to these cavalry units. The Model 1915 Bolo bayonet then became authorized issue to the 26th Cavalry just before WW2

My question, can anyone confirm this information ?

Jeff L
07-11-2013, 09:07
I bet RTL can.

Rick the Librarian
07-11-2013, 09:23
No, I can't but I know who can ... I'll check.

I do know it was the usual rule that bayonets were not issued to (horse) cavalry units - they had sabers, instead.

I have seen a few pictures of Philippine Scouts (dated to before WWI with bolo-type bayonets, but not enough to explain 5800 of them.I have seen a couple of pictures of PS troops with bolo bayonets, but I never heard of that many. The Philippines were sometimes a dumping ground for obsolete or unwanted equipment (as well as senior officers), but I never heard of this quantity.

I also never heard of the 26th receiving bolo bayonets before WWII, either. The 26th, along with all Regulars of the U.S. Army (and they were a part of the U.S. Army) in the Philippines, were equipped with M1 Garands, or at least the infantry and cavalry units.

m1903rifle
07-13-2013, 07:57
Are these the bayonets you are referring to?

Rick the Librarian
07-25-2013, 08:11
A little "after the fact" but my friend Victor, who has ties to the Philippine Scout Historical Society and the few remaining Scouts still with us, had an answer for me:

Sorry I didn't see this till now. Yes the 26th Cavalry had bolo bayonets. Dan Figuracion and Felipe Fernandez [two former Scouts] confirmed this. I've asked them this repeatedly back in 2007 just to make sure it's the bayonet that they referred to, and not the regular bolo. It's actually a challenging missing piece of gear for a 26th combat impression. There are no original nor reproduction bolo bayonets available. I saw an original one that sold on eBay years ago for 3k.

Hope this answers your question - I admit I was surprised at this!

Victor (who occasionally posts on CSP as "VeeVee") runs a fine forum on the Philippine Scouts in particular and the Philippines during WWII in general:

http://pinoyhistory.proboards.com/

RCS
07-26-2013, 08:38
Rick, thank you and Victor too for finding out about the Model 1915 Bolo bayonet being issued to the 26th Cavalry PS before WW2. The 26th Cavalry was (I believe) starting to be be issued both the gas trap and later gas port M1 rifle, interesting that the Model 1915 bolo bayonet would no doubt also fit these M1 rifles too

Rick the Librarian
07-26-2013, 02:58
RCS, sorry it took so long, but Victor was in the Philippines hiking all over Bataan (the lucky stiff!!) and it took him awhile to get back to me. A lot of people think everyone in the Philippines was equipped with M1903s and M1917s - the fact that some 7,000 M1s were in for Philippines is little-known.

VeeVee
07-26-2013, 07:27
Hello Rick. Glad to be of help. Yes two 26th Cavalrymen confirmed that they had bolo bayonets (one of them was in the last cavalry charge in Morong, Bataan)

Here's that bolo bayonet that sold on ebay for thousands. Cheers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/jvsv/Living_History/Artifacts/bolobayonet2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/jvsv/Living_History/Artifacts/bolobayonet4.jpg