PDA

View Full Version : M1903 Rear Sight Fixed Base Installation/Removal Tools

Mike D
07-11-2013, 04:28
Picked these up off of fleabay and thought some of you M1903 hobbyist's might be interested.

I'm no Chuck, but I ain't no Bubba either, when I can help it, that is, and figured these might come in handy for some of you who like to have the right tools. :D

These tools are well made. Fine checkering on the RSFB tools and a little course checkering on the little front sight install tool. Parkerized finish on all.

Removal tool (barrel must be removed from receiver) is a stout 3.4 lbs. Compare that to an '03 barrel with complete front and rear sights installed, it weighs the same!

Install (front sight must be removed) weighs 2.15 lbs and the front sight install 2.8 oz.

I believe the seller has another set for sale now. If you would like to contact the maker of these, send me a PM, and I will forward his email address. I did ask for his approval.

He also sent a set of directions with the tools, but they are kinda self explanatory. For the price, I find them to be a bargain. What else is there to compare them to?

I've used both rear sight tools with success. The front, I'm sure would work just fine. I popped the sides of the install tool with a hammer and also "dropped" it into the front of the RSFB to press bases on. Since it does surround the barrel, it could slightly mar the finish. The round bevel of the install tool is a very nice fit to the front of the base.

Whatcha think? Feel free to comment/ask questions.

Mike

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad102/m1carbiner/Rear%20Sight%20Fixed%20Base%20Tools/22M1903008_zpsac5f67d6.jpg
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad102/m1carbiner/Rear%20Sight%20Fixed%20Base%20Tools/22M1903007_zps874bcc4b.jpg
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad102/m1carbiner/Rear%20Sight%20Fixed%20Base%20Tools/22M1903005_zpscfcef2ef.jpg
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad102/m1carbiner/Rear%20Sight%20Fixed%20Base%20Tools/22M1903004_zps3faee346.jpg

Col. Colt
07-11-2013, 09:47
I got the same tools and also find them very well made, and match up well to the surfaces they will contact in use. Hope to get time to finish assembling a pile of parts in the next month and I promise to furnish a better report then, myself. And compared to messing up an expensive original rear sight collar, or dinging up and uglifying a Springfield front sight base, they seem to be well worth their fairly modest price. Original parts are valuable, and even if they make repros, it's not the real thing. So we take good care of the original stuff! CC

John Beard
07-11-2013, 10:05
Interesting tools. Thanks for posting pictures!

J.B.

Handsome Devil
07-11-2013, 11:56
Cool. Was going to make something like this years ago when I was hoarding 03 parts and had bought barrel stubs with the rear sight bases on them. Those buggers are on there, I got them off but having a tool like this is the only way to go. They damage so easily if you get impatient. Don't forget to remove the locking pins which can be hard to notice if your not looking for them. Finally a better mouse trap! Cheers, John.

chuckindenver
07-12-2013, 06:23
nice...wonder how one would use the tool to remove a rear sight base with the barrel still installed??

Handsome Devil
07-12-2013, 10:23
Could experiment with liquid nitrogen by dipping the breach end. Those rascals are tight. Just replaced an axle on a logging steam locomotive a few weeks back using heat and liquid nitrogen. I think the friction fit is about the same on those rear sight bases that I had dealt with. I found a new rear sight base once, with markings if I remember right of late production with the flats. A buddy of mine took it and put it on some pc of crap barrel, blasted it and parked it to match the barrel. I about cried. It was the only new off the shelf rear sight base I have ever found on the loose. Showed no s/s of being on a rifle? No idea where it had come from and regretted letting my friend buy it. Would of been a great restoration part in the right setting with right gunsmith. If you come up with a way to remove with out damaging the rear sight base while still on the receiver please share! I could care less about doing it but would like to know the process just the same. The technique could be applied to other stubborn things in my life. Ha! Cheers, John.

Mike D
07-12-2013, 04:48
nice...wonder how one would use the tool to remove a rear sight base with the barrel still installed??

You don't, obviously. :icon_scratch:

In most situations, your salvaging the base from a barrel that is worn out.

Unless your sporterizing a rifle, why remove the base from a good barrel??

Mike

chuckindenver
07-12-2013, 05:35
i do it all the time.. did it today.
example...i have a nice 1903 with a WW2 type sight base, dont like the look, and want a scalloped base...
remove the WW2 base, install the older style base..
dont need to remove the barrel..
the puller that i want made.. pulles the base from the front of the muzzle. the install tool i make simply drives the base on with a plastic hammer..very simple, and basic.
the only issue i see with this set up, is the chance at ruining the shoulder of the barrel your removing a base from..

Parashooter
07-12-2013, 09:07
Installation tool from scrap -

http://i56.tinypic.com/2lnxnvs.jpg

One method for removing the fixed base with barrel installed is to leave the movable base in place and drive the exposed surface of the RSFB's rear lug with a hardwood drift carefully shaped to the receiver ring contour, using multiple taps of a light hammer. Having the movable base in position helps prevent the soft steel of the fixed base from deforming while being driven. If multiple light taps don't work, it's time to dismount the barrel.