PDA

View Full Version : A 96 sight with windage...............

JBinIll
07-10-2013, 05:49
I was looking through some odds and ends of Krag parts and found this sight.I noted the standing leaf had been filed on and thought WTF did they do that for.
http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p529/OldGussie/IMG_0025.jpg

Then I noticed this-

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p529/OldGussie/IMG_0026.jpg

madsenshooter
07-10-2013, 09:13
When you want it, and gotta have it....yankee ingenuity triumphs again. Wonder if he got a patent?

Dick Hosmer
07-11-2013, 06:43
Screw-in-base idea might have been inspired by the Bull-modified M1879 sights on most long-range trapdoors. They, however, did not have the cuts at the top.

JBinIll
07-11-2013, 08:56
Screw-in-base idea might have been inspired by the Bull-modified M1879 sights on most long-range trapdoors. They, however, did not have the cuts at the top.

If you don't file the standing leaf that way,it wouldn't be able to move sideways when down.Hunter's modification I'd guess for a little windage with the ladder down.

ebeeby
07-11-2013, 09:09
If you don't file the standing leaf that way,it wouldn't be able to move sideways when down.Hunter's modification I'd guess for a little windage with the ladder down.

But the battle sight V is on the leaf not the bar, and it doesn't move.....

JBinIll
07-11-2013, 11:04
But the battle sight V is on the leaf not the bar, and it doesn't move.....

It does now.LOL

psteinmayer
07-11-2013, 07:16
I don't think the bar is supposed to move... I think the leaf - with the bar attached - is supposed to move, thus moving the bar itself... or am I overthinking this??? LOL

madsenshooter
07-11-2013, 07:17
No, you gots it.

ebeeby
07-11-2013, 08:50
What I'm saying is that when the leaf is in the down position, and the battle sight notch is being used, the file job on the leaf which allows the bar to be moved sideways doesn't matter because the battle sight notch is in the leaf not the bar. Therefore, the windage the file job allows does not work in battle sight position. And the windage only works with the leaf up and the bar set at 17 or 18.

madsenshooter
07-11-2013, 09:24
The whole leaf moves side to side between the ears on the bottom. That's the reason for the file job, to allow it to move when down. The leaf was also filed where it fits between the ears of the base. Pic 2, where you see threads. Normally the space where you see threads is filled by the hinge of the leaf. There's not a lot of adjustment, but it's better than none. Are you seeing what I'm saying cause I'm not seeing what you're saying. Well maybe I do, you're thinking the windage adjustment afforded by the top filing is so one can move the slider side to side once it's up there. I don't think this fellow was concerned with such long ranges.

psteinmayer
07-12-2013, 06:36
Get out of my head Bob.... You just said exactly what I was thinking! LOL

You wouldn't want to move the bar side to side because it wouldn't be accurate. In fact, when in that upper area where the leaf is filed, the bar couldn't be tightened against the leaf anyway, since the screw tightens the bar to the leaf on the side. The bar would just rattle around on the top of the leaf!