PDA

View Full Version : Early trapdoor sling....which one would be correct?

PRC148
07-10-2013, 05:12
I'm the new owner of a 1879 Trapdoor mfg in 1885 (2704xx). I've been researching my text and it looks like a correct sling would be a cut single hook? This model or variation would predate the early double hook, correct? I can find quite a few double 1887 double hooks but very, very few single hooks. Anybody know of a source for an original correct sling for my rifle? Would a cut single hook be correct for a 1868 trapdoor as well?

Dick Hosmer
07-10-2013, 06:54
Not sure I understand the term "cut single hook". I have a single-hook sling on my early 1873 rifle 12313, but they are quite uncommon, and I am pretty sure that the first double hook slings came out quite soon after that. Single hook slings would be fine for an 1868. The sequence runs (1) standing loop without button (2) single hook with button (3) lightweight double hook w/button (4) heavyweight double hook w/button. However, slings were used until they failed, and even then some were spliced and reused, so there is no absolute hard and fast rule as to what is "correct" for a given rifle. (4) extended into the Krag period. On all single hook slings that I have seen (not many) the hook is formed in the round, like wire, rather that the rectangular (=cut?) cross-section of the later hooks. Further confusion can sometimes be caused by use of the terms hook, claw, prong, etc. and whether the person means one or two claws on one fitting, or, two fittings.

PRC148
07-10-2013, 12:03
Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the Civil War musket slings that were shortened "cut", resewn and still had the single hook (round or square and with or without a button I'm not sure). I'm just trying to figure out what would have been correct for the mfg year of 1885. If I can't find one, then I'll defer to the early model of the 1887. Wear and tear on a sling is hard and most originals just don't survive today. Just like modern gear, old worn-out is replace with new issue so they were likely replaced lwith a later model sling. This would then make a 1887 (3) sling correct. Is there any text I can read-up on for Trapdoors because my Poyer text just doesn't get into the weeds. Looks like your sling progression (1-4) is a good line to follow for slings. Are there any rough dates of usage/application of 1-4?

rayg
07-11-2013, 11:37
I think you would be fine with a 1887 pattern sling. It could be a year or two before your rifle was even issued and by then it could conceivably be wearing an 1887 pattern sling. Ray

Check out the 1887 pattern sling I just picked up shown earlier, http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?39888-Very-early-trapdoor-crawl-buckle-sling

Dan Shapiro
07-11-2013, 03:01
Is there any text I can read-up on for Trapdoors because my Poyer text just doesn't get into the weeds.

"The .58- and .50 Caliber Rifles and Carbines of the Springfield Armory, 1865-1872" Written by some guy by the name of Dick Hosmer. :icon_scratch:

This will give you the info on the 'early' stuff. There is supposed to be a follow-up book on the later years.

ebeeby
07-11-2013, 05:47
Yeah, that guy Hosmer knows a thing or two! :)

Don't overlook AL Frasca's books - they have excellent photos

70ish
07-13-2013, 05:03
Not sure I understand the term "cut single hook". I have a single-hook sling on my early 1873 rifle 12313, but they are quite uncommon, and I am pretty sure that the first double hook slings came out quite soon after that. Single hook slings would be fine for an 1868. The sequence runs (1) standing loop without button (2) single hook with button (3) lightweight double hook w/button (4) heavyweight double hook w/button. However, slings were used until they failed, and even then some were spliced and reused, so there is no absolute hard and fast rule as to what is "correct" for a given rifle. (4) extended into the Krag period. On all single hook slings that I have seen (not many) the hook is formed in the round, like wire, rather that the rectangular (=cut?) cross-section of the later hooks. Further confusion can sometimes be caused by use of the terms hook, claw, prong, etc. and whether the person means one or two claws on one fitting, or, two fittings.

I have a standing loop, no button single, cut (rectangular) hook (not round) that came with a '61 Springfield and a pieced (sewn) standing loop with button, single, cut (rectangular) hook (not round) that is longer than the Civil War era hook. That sling came with a trapdoor. Since many of the surplus, Civil War slings were altered for the trap door models, I presume that most, if not all, of the trapdoor slings ('68 and later) would need to be "pieced" from the older slings to accommodate the longer distance between sling swivels on the trapdoors. I'm guessing that as the single hooks were used up, the single button and the double hooks were developed as an improvement on the overall design. I would also expect that there would have been a mixing of styles as the changeovers took place.

Dick Hosmer
07-13-2013, 06:45
I would agree. Slings were strictly utilitarian, designed only for carrying* the piece, and not, AFAIK, subject to rigid nomenclature, or standardization. If the leather was sound and serviceable, the item was used. Slings were to be taken off rifles turned in, and reused on the replacement arms.

*a limited exception was when used to reduce muzzle jump in the back or "Texas" position for long range shooting. The sling was not normally used in the prone, kneeling, or offhand positions during the TD period.