PDA

View Full Version : mdl 29?

CPC
07-09-2013, 02:06
Hello, I am not really a pistol person but have a few. A HS friend's dad wants to sell me his 29 with a 6in brl at a reasonable price. It was made in 1987 according to the son and still in the original box, shot maybe 10x. So I guess 90-95% condition. I was hoping to get a little information before I drive up to see him. I checked GB and it appears that most (I suspect 29-3) are selling in the $700 range, is that about right assuming it has its original grips, etc?

Regards,
CC

da gimp
07-09-2013, 02:55
prices fall dramatically after the pistol goes from NIB, mint & maybe 99%, after that values fall rapidly, 90% to 95% pistols are good users only................. purists/collectors only want NIB or mint guns

Art
07-09-2013, 03:56
I assume you are going to shoot this revolver. If its in the box, especially if you have the papers it came with $700.00 is a fair price for one of these pistols. As was said above the collectability is limited but I've never considered late Model, run of the mill, 29s, especially the post 1983 ones that aren't "pinned" or "countersunk" as being really that collectable anyhow.

joem
07-09-2013, 04:12
I'd say $700.00 is a good price. A few years ago I got a 29 in a delux display box for $600.00 but the guy wanted to sell it.

Johnny P
07-09-2013, 07:52
I don't know if you are set up to reload your ammunition or not, but if you have to shoot only factory ammo it will be expensive as well as unpleasant. It is OK to fire a few rounds of factory .44 Magnum, but not something you will enjoy taking out and shooting 100 rounds or so in an afternoon. As the others have stated, it has very little collector value.

CPC
07-10-2013, 10:38
Thank you all for the information. It was exactly what I was looking for. Based upon the web research I have conducted and your info it does not appear the there is much collector value but I do not have a 44M and I thought it would be fun to shoot (as long as my fillings are tight). My B-I-L currently does all the reloading but I hope to get started once the prices settle down, etc., as it was always to much of a pain in the butt to try and do it while I was in the service. Thanks again for the all the insightful comments and assistance.
Regards,
CC

joem
07-11-2013, 04:33
I reload with cast lead to save money. I installed Hogue decellerator grips on a super blackhawk. Use mid range loads and hard cast or you'll have leading to remove.

CPC
07-13-2013, 07:42
Thanks all, I purchased the pistol based upon your comments. Turns out that what I thought was fired 10x; meant ten time at the range... well it turned out to be 5 rounds total out of the original box of Super X when he purchased the pistol. Thanks again for all the comments as we are both happy with the end result.